You are here

Historic and Archaeological Sites

Akron Gymnasium

Added by yongli on 11/03/2015 - 11:00, last changed on 09/08/2016 - 17:25
The Akron Gymnasium was a New Deal project built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938–40. Designed by the prominent Denver architect Eugene Groves , with a distinctive domed roof and skylights, it served as Akron’s main gymnasium and community center until 1964. Though the structure...

American Legion Hall (Eads)

Added by yongli on 11/03/2015 - 13:46, last changed on 09/08/2016 - 17:25
The American Legion Hall at the Kiowa County Fairgrounds near Eads was a New Deal project built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1937–38. The hall is one of the best-preserved WPA buildings in Eads and remains an important site for community gatherings and entertainment. The Dust Bowl...

Ammons Hall

Added by yongli on 12/19/2016 - 12:50, last changed on 12/19/2016 - 13:07
Located on the northwest corner of the Oval on the campus of Colorado State University in Fort Collins , Ammons Hall opened in 1922 as a women’s gymnasium and social center. Designed by Denver architect Eugene Groves , the Italian Renaissance Revival building signaled that the college recognized...

Ancestral Puebloans of the Four Corners Region

Added by yongli on 05/09/2016 - 14:21, last changed on 09/08/2016 - 17:25
Formerly labeled Anasazi, the Ancestral Puebloan culture is the most widely known of the ancient cultures of Colorado. The people who built the cliff dwellings of Mesa Verde and the great houses of Chaco Canyon were subsistence farmers of corn, beans, and squash. The ruins of this culture date to...

Animas Forks

Added by yongli on 11/04/2015 - 13:55, last changed on 03/16/2017 - 10:13
Established in 1875 and occupied until the 1920s, Animas Forks is a ghost town northeast of Silverton in the San Juan Mountains. It sits at an elevation of about 11,200 feet. It survived primarily on the strength of speculative investment rather than productive mining, though several nearby mining...

Ashcroft

Added by yongli on 12/19/2016 - 13:31, last changed on 12/19/2016 - 14:04
Located about eleven miles south of Aspen in Castle Creek Valley , Ashcroft was established in 1880 as a silver mining camp. It quickly grew to more than 2,000 residents and briefly rivaled Aspen, but it was already declining by the late 1880s because the veins of silver ore were shallow and no...

Barr Trail

Added by yongli on 10/27/2016 - 11:38, last changed on 04/06/2017 - 09:28
Barr Trail is a 12.6-mile trail that climbs about 7,500 feet from Manitou Springs to the summit of Pikes Peak , with an average grade of 11 percent. Surveyed and constructed by Fred Barr in 1918–21, Barr Trail was the first trail to reach the summit via the mountain’s steep east slope. Today the...

Battle of Summit Springs

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 14:42, last changed on 11/15/2016 - 15:51
On July 11, 1869, the Fifth US Cavalry defeated a band of Cheyennes in a battle at Summit Springs, about fifteen miles southeast of present-day Sterling . It was perhaps the most conclusive battle fought on Colorado soil and possibly the most significant in the entire central plains area. As the...

Beatrice Willard Alpine Tundra Research Plots

Added by yongli on 10/26/2016 - 14:26, last changed on 04/06/2017 - 10:12
The Beatrice Willard Alpine Tundra Research Plots were established in 1959 by Beatrice Willard at two high-altitude locations along Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP). Willard’s studies at the plots and elsewhere in the park were among the first to examine how visitors were...

Beckwith Ranch

Added by yongli on 10/27/2016 - 15:11, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
Located about five miles north of Westcliffe in the Wet Mountain Valley , Beckwith Ranch was established in 1870 by brothers Edwin and Elton Beckwith and grew to be one of the largest cattle operations in south-central Colorado. In the 1880s and 1890s the Beckwiths built an elaborate headquarters...

Beecher Island Battleground

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 10:42, last changed on 04/06/2017 - 09:42
The Battle of Beecher Island­—which pitted American scouts against Cheyenne, Sioux, and Arapaho warriors­—was one of the most significant struggles in the Indian Wars that took place in eastern Colorado during the late 1860s. The battleground, located on the banks of the Arikaree River about...

Bent County Courthouse and Jail

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 13:31, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 10:50
The Bent County Courthouse, located on Courthouse Square in the county seat of Las Animas , opened in 1889 to serve as the county’s administrative and legal center. The county jail opened next to the courthouse in 1912 and was used for nearly a century to house sheriffs and process inmates. The...

Bent's Forts

Added by Nick Johnson on 05/06/2016 - 10:52, last changed on 04/07/2017 - 16:43
In the early and mid-nineteenth century, when the western United States was in a seemingly unending state of flux as people competed for dominance over the land and its resources, three men moved to what would eventually become southeastern Colorado and there established a trading and commercial...

Boggsville

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 13:48, last changed on 04/19/2017 - 11:46
Founded in 1866 near the confluence of the Arkansas and Purgatoire Rivers, Boggsville became the first permanent settlement in southeastern Colorado. Its residents pioneered irrigation and large-scale farming and ranching in the Arkansas Valley. The town flourished for a few years. In the 1870s,...

Bonfils Memorial Theatre

Added by yongli on 10/07/2016 - 16:34, last changed on 10/07/2016 - 16:34
The Bonfils Memorial Theatre on East Colfax Avenue was built by Helen Bonfils for the Denver Civic Theatre in 1953. As the first theater for live performances built in Denver in forty years, the cream-colored building staged more than 400 productions before it closed in 1986. It sat mostly...

Breckenridge Historic District

Added by yongli on 11/04/2015 - 15:27, last changed on 03/17/2017 - 12:19
Settled as a gold-mining camp in 1859, Breckenridge has gone through a series of booms and busts typical of Colorado’s mining towns. The advent of skiing in the 1960s revived the town after decades of stagnation, bringing modern development but also greater interest in historic preservation. Today...

Brown Palace Hotel

Added by yongli on 08/26/2016 - 15:51, last changed on 04/14/2017 - 13:58
Financed by and named after the early Denver developer Henry C. Brown , the Brown Palace Hotel opened on Broadway in 1892 in an elegant triangular building that was the tallest in the city at the time. For much of the twentieth century the hotel was owned by the Boettcher family , which expanded it...

Buckhorn Exchange

Added by yongli on 08/26/2016 - 15:57, last changed on 10/31/2016 - 12:32
Located at 1000 Osage Street, just south of Lincoln Park, the Buckhorn Exchange is Denver’s oldest operating restaurant. Established by Henry H. Zietz in 1893, the restaurant has occupied the same building for more than 120 years and is known for its interior stuffed with Western memorabilia and...

Buford School

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 14:15, last changed on 09/08/2016 - 18:41
The one-room Buford School was built in 1902 and served local students for fifty years. After the building stopped being used as a school in 1952, it was renovated and converted into a community center. It continues to serve as the headquarters of the White River Community Club and hosts regular...

Burlington Gymnasium

Added by yongli on 02/02/2017 - 15:25, last changed on 02/02/2017 - 15:25
The Burlington Gymnasium was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938–41 and served as a gym, auditorium, and community center until 1999. Located on Senter Avenue between Ninth and Eleventh Streets, the two-story Art Deco facility was originally next to the Burlington High School...

Camp Hale

Added by yongli on 09/10/2015 - 11:52, last changed on 03/17/2017 - 11:06
Built in the Pando Valley north of Leadville in 1942, Camp Hale served as the training grounds for the US Army’s Tenth Mountain Division during World War II. Troops learned to ski, snowshoe, and climb at the camp, allowing them to perform important operations in northern Italy in early 1945. Many...

Capilla de San Isidro

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 17:16, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:27
Built in about 1894, Capilla de San Isidro is a Catholic church in Los Fuertes in the San Luis Valley . The church is dedicated to St. Isidore, the patron saint of farming, and continues to play an important role in the local community, with Mass celebrated in Spanish during the summer. In 2013 the...

Capilla de San Juan Bautista (Church of Saint John the Baptist)

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 17:21, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:26
Located in La Garita in the northwestern San Luis Valley , Capilla de San Juan Bautista was built in 1924–26 as a Catholic mission church. It replaced an earlier church on the same site, which served as the area’s parish church from 1879 to 1895 but burned down in 1924. After the church was...

Capilla de Viejo San Acacio

Added by yongli on 11/06/2015 - 12:58, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:27
Founded in the 1850s or 1860s by Hispano settlers near the Culebra River, the Catholic Capilla de Viejo San Acacio in the San Luis Valley is the oldest non–Native American religious space in Colorado. Over the years the church has had many repairs and renovations to stabilize the structure, as well...

Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

Added by yongli on 08/26/2016 - 16:12, last changed on 04/14/2017 - 16:03
Completed in 1912, the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, on East Colfax Avenue in Denver , was the result of decades of effort on the part of the city’s early Catholic community. Sometimes called the “Pinnacled Glory of the West,” the building’s elegant Gothic Revival design and twin...

Central City Opera House

Greg Vogl's picture
Added by Greg Vogl on 07/15/2015 - 14:12, last changed on 04/17/2017 - 12:42
Built in 1878, the Central City Opera House is the oldest opera house in Colorado. Though it declined along with Central City’s economy in the 1880s, it puttered along as a theater and movie house until owner Peter McFarlane finally closed its doors in 1927. Five years later, the building was...

Central City–Black Hawk Historic District

Added by yongli on 12/19/2016 - 14:19, last changed on 02/06/2017 - 16:26
Central City and Black Hawk took shape during the boom years after John Gregory discovered gold on May 6, 1859, near the North Fork of Clear Creek in what is now Gilpin County . For much of the 1860s and 1870s, the area was the richest mining region in Colorado, and Central City rivaled Denver as...

Chaco Canyon

Added by yongli on 08/15/2016 - 13:02, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
In the eleventh century, Chaco Canyon in northwestern New Mexico was the center of a Native American cultural region about the size of the state of Indiana. It encompassed most of southwestern Colorado, from Chimney Rock National Monument on the east to Far View House at Mesa Verde National Park...

Cheyenne County Jail

Added by yongli on 03/15/2016 - 15:01, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 08:33
Built in 1894, the Cheyenne County Jail represented the young county’s dedication to law and order and helped instill a sense of civic pride. It is the only surviving jail designed by the important early Colorado architect Robert S. Roeschlaub . After a new jail opened in 1961, the Roeschlaub-...

Chimney Rock

Added by yongli on 08/20/2015 - 16:41, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 08:33
Located in the southwest corner of Colorado just north of the New Mexico border, the Chimney Rock Archaeological Area is home to hundreds of archaeological sites. One of these sites, the Chimney Rock Pueblo, is known for its dramatic setting high atop Stollsteimer Mesa, which is marked by two rocky...

Church of the Holy Redeemer

Added by yongli on 10/27/2016 - 15:31, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
Located at the southeast corner of East Twenty-Sixth Avenue and Williams Street in Denver ’s Whittier neighborhood, the Church of the Holy Redeemer is a 1910 Gothic Revival building designed by the Denver architects Fisher and Fisher . The church was originally home to St. Stephen’s Episcopal...

City Park

Added by yongli on 08/29/2016 - 14:34, last changed on 02/03/2017 - 21:52
Established in 1882, City Park is Denver’s largest urban park, occupying nearly 320 acres between East Seventeenth and East Twenty-Third Avenues from York Street to Colorado Boulevard. Designed primarily by civil engineers Henry Meryweather and Walter Graves in the 1880s and by Reinhard Schuetze in...

Civic Center

Added by yongli on 10/10/2016 - 11:50, last changed on 04/14/2017 - 16:11
Named a National Historic Landmark in 2012, Civic Center is a complex of parks, civic buildings, and cultural institutions stretching between the State Capitol and the City and County Building in the heart of Denver . Plans for the complex, which was developed in stages from the 1890s to the 1930s...

Cliff Palace

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 14:48, last changed on 03/16/2017 - 07:59
Located in an alcove on the east wall of Cliff Canyon in Mesa Verde National Park , Cliff Palace is a 150-room cliff dwelling built by Ancestral Puebloans in the 1200s and rediscovered by rancher Richard Wetherill and Charles Mason in 1888. It is the largest and best-known cliff dwelling in Mesa...

Colorado Salt Works

Added by yongli on 12/02/2015 - 15:53, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 10:42
In 1866 the rancher and businessman Charles Hall added a kettle house and barn to his Colorado Salt Works in South Park . The only salt works and the second manufacturing facility built in Colorado, the buildings operated intermittently for several years before the arrival of the railroad brought...

Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind

Added by yongli on 10/27/2016 - 15:16, last changed on 04/22/2017 - 13:21
The Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind (CSDB) was established in Colorado Springs in 1874 and is the only school of its kind in the state. The school’s buildings, constructed largely in the early twentieth century, were designed by major local architects such as Thomas Barber and are united...

Colorado State Fairgrounds

Added by yongli on 12/03/2015 - 11:07, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 09:28
Opened in 1901, the Colorado State Fairgrounds in Pueblo have long played an important role in the state’s agriculture, education, and entertainment. Farmers and ranchers attend the fair to display their products, see new technologies and techniques, and buy livestock, while others come to learn...

Comanche Crossing

Added by yongli on 12/19/2016 - 14:24, last changed on 12/19/2016 - 14:24
On August 15, 1870, the first permanent railroad link across the United States from the Atlantic Coast to the Pacific Coast was completed when the final spike was driven in the Kansas Pacific Railway at Comanche Crossing in northeast Colorado. The exact spot is just east of Strasburg, near railroad...

Cottonwood Cave

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 12:42, last changed on 03/16/2017 - 09:23
Located near Cottonwood Creek on the Uncompahgre Plateau in Montrose County , Cottonwood Cave is a prehistoric site from the Basketmaker II period (400 BCE–400 CE) of the Ancestral Puebloan tradition. Excavated in 1947 by Clarence T. Hurst , the cave yielded a buried cache of corn that was later...

Cramer Archaeological Site

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 15:44, last changed on 04/27/2017 - 08:03
The Cramer Archaeological Site is an Apishapa phase site located near the mouth of Apishapa Canyon . Consisting of vertical stone slabs arranged to form at least two rooms, the site was probably used around 1250–1350 CE. In 1985–86 James Gunnerson performed extensive excavations at the site and...

Cripple Creek

Added by yongli on 12/19/2016 - 15:15, last changed on 04/14/2017 - 15:55
Cripple Creek was the site of the last and greatest mining boom in Colorado, attracting tens of thousands of people to the western flank of Pikes Peak in the 1890s. After it was destroyed by fire in 1896, the town and surrounding mining district reached peak production and population in the early...

Crowley School

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 14:47, last changed on 04/14/2017 - 08:06
Built in 1914, the Crowley School is the one of the oldest public buildings in Crowley County . It served as a schoolhouse and hosted community events until 1962. After years of deterioration, the building received a major restoration in the 1990s and now once again serves the community as a town...

Daniels and Fisher Tower

Added by yongli on 10/10/2016 - 12:02, last changed on 03/06/2017 - 16:45
Rising 330 feet above Sixteenth Street , the Daniels and Fisher Tower in Denver was based on St. Mark’s Campanile in Venice and opened in 1911 as a beacon drawing shoppers to the adjacent Daniels and Fisher department store. The Daniels and Fisher department store closed in 1958 and was demolished...

De Beque House

Added by yongli on 12/20/2016 - 14:05, last changed on 12/20/2016 - 14:05
The De Beque House was built in 1889 at 233 Denver Street in the town of De Beque, Mesa County . It was the home of Wallace A.E. de Beque , one of the town’s founders. The wood-frame house has remained mostly unchanged since de Beque’s death in 1930 and is the last surviving property that...

Dent Site

Added by yongli on 05/09/2016 - 15:35, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 09:28
Early colonists occupied Colorado’s rich and ecologically diverse landscapes in the waning millennia of our planet’s most recent major Ice Age, the Pleistocene, between 14,000 and 12,000 years. Our best-documented evidence for Colorado’s earliest hunter and gatherer inhabitants, people we call...

Denver Mint

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 15:08, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 10:45
Established by Congress in 1862, the Denver Mint operated for more than four decades as an assay office, determining the quality of bullion but not producing any coins. In 1895 Congress authorized the mint to produce coins and also provided for a new building, which opened in 1904 at the corner of...

Denver Orphans’ Home

Added by yongli on 10/27/2016 - 15:22, last changed on 02/20/2017 - 13:14
The Denver Orphans’ Home (DOH) was organized in 1881 to help alleviate the critical problem of supporting dependent children by offering short-term shelter to the offspring of families of limited means in crisis, as well as caring for orphans and other children who needed long-term shelter. In 1902...

Denver, Northwestern & Pacific Railway Hill Route (Moffat Road)

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 14:44, last changed on 03/24/2017 - 11:37
Also known as the Moffat Road, the Denver, Northwestern & Pacific Railway Hill Route was completed in 1904 and connected the Front Range to Middle Park via Rollins Pass . Built in part on a former Ute Indian trail and intended as a temporary route across the Continental Divide , the arduous...

Dinosaur Ridge

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 15:41, last changed on 02/17/2017 - 14:55
Stretching north from Morrison to just south of Golden, Dinosaur Ridge became famous for the dinosaur fossils and tracks discovered there in 1877. The discoveries, which included the world’s first known Stegosaurus and Apatosaurus fossils, helped launch a “dinosaur rush” in the late nineteenth...

Dolores Cave

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 13:05, last changed on 04/27/2017 - 08:04
Located in Dolores River Canyon in Montrose County, Dolores Cave was occupied by several different peoples from at least 600 BCE to 1400 CE. Subject to extensive looting in the early twentieth century, the site was professionally excavated in 1946 by Clarence T. Hurst and in 1994 by Mark Stiger...

Donovan Archaeological Site

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 15:47, last changed on 04/27/2017 - 08:06
Located about twenty miles south of the South Platte River in northeast Colorado, the Donovan Archaeological Site is a Late Prehistoric bison-processing area with evidence of multiple Upper Republican occupations between about 1000 and 1300 CE. The site was later used by Dismal River hunting...

Doud House

Added by yongli on 10/28/2016 - 10:29, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Located at 750 Lafayette Street in Denver’s East Seventh Avenue Historic District, the Doud House was built in 1905 and occupied by the Doud family from 1906 to 1960. It is significant for its association with Dwight and Mamie Doud Eisenhower, who were married in the house in 1916 and visited...

Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 15:13, last changed on 02/03/2017 - 22:04
Rising about 2,800 feet over its famously scenic forty-five-mile route, the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad was originally built in 1881–82 as part of the Denver & Rio Grande Railway ’s effort to reach the mines of the San Juan Mountains . For decades the line hauled ore from...

Edward T. Taylor House

Added by yongli on 09/10/2015 - 16:45, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 10:26
Longtime Colorado state senator and US Congressman Edward T. Taylor (1858–1941) built his house in downtown Glenwood Springs in 1904. Taylor lived in the house whenever he was in Colorado during the three decades he served in the US House of Representatives. The Taylor House was converted into...

Egyptian Theatre

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 15:33, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 10:26
Built in 1928, the Egyptian Theatre in Delta was designed in the Egyptian Revival style by Denver architect Montana S. Fallis . The theater is perhaps best known as the site where the nationwide Depression-era “Bank Night” movie promotion began in 1933. The theater experienced a long period of...

El Corazon de Trinidad National Historic District

Added by yongli on 03/15/2016 - 15:22, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:37
El Corazon de Trinidad (“the heart of Trinidad”) National Historic District covers a particularly well-preserved portion of downtown Trinidad that includes many blocks of adobe and brick buildings from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Established in 1861 along the Santa Fé Trail...

El Pueblo

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 16:09, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Established in 1842, El Pueblo was an independent adobe trading post that operated at the site of the present-day city of Pueblo and was used by a diverse, multi-ethnic group of trappers, traders, women, and mountain men. Largely abandoned after an 1854 attack by Utes, the post gradually...

Emmanuel Shearith Israel Chapel

Added by yongli on 10/10/2016 - 12:09, last changed on 04/14/2017 - 15:47
Located at what was once the corner of Tenth and Lawrence Streets in the middle of the Auraria Higher Education Center , Emmanuel Shearith Israel Chapel is the oldest surviving religious building in Denver . Built in 1876–77 as the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, the building was sold in 1903 to the...

Englewood Post Office

Added by yongli on 11/10/2015 - 12:45, last changed on 10/19/2016 - 11:38
The 1938 Englewood post office building on South Broadway is notable for its large lobby mural by Boardman Robinson (1876–1952), an important art educator, political cartoonist, and founder of the American mural movement. The work is Robinson’s only post office mural and one of three major Robinson...

Far View Sites

Added by yongli on 06/23/2016 - 10:50, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 10:58
The Far View group at Mesa Verde National Park consists of more than twenty sites, five of which have been excavated. Far View House began as an eleventh-century Great House and part of the region centered on Chaco Canyon . Many of the surrounding sites in the Far View Group were first built in the...

Fitzsimons General Hospital

Added by yongli on 11/06/2015 - 13:22, last changed on 03/30/2017 - 11:13
Established east of Denver in 1918, Fitzsimons General Hospital was originally established as an army hospital specializing in treating soldiers infected with tuberculosis during World War I. After struggling with small budgets and the threat of closure, the facility expanded with the addition of a...

Five Points

Added by yongli on 08/29/2016 - 14:40, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:17
Bordered roughly by the South Platte River to the northwest, Thirty-Eighth Street to the north, Downing Street to the east, Park Avenue and East Twentieth Avenue to the south, and Twentieth Street to the southwest, Five Points is a historic neighborhood near downtown Denver that was home to the...

Flattop Butte

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 15:52, last changed on 04/27/2017 - 08:07
Located northwest of Sterling , Flattop Butte is a rock outcrop that was used extensively by prehistoric peoples as a source of stone for tools. The butte has a Chadron Formation capstone that is the only major bedrock source of high-quality stone between central Kansas/Nebraska and the Rocky...

Florence Post Office

Added by yongli on 01/31/2017 - 15:16, last changed on 01/31/2017 - 15:26
The Florence Post Office was built in 1936–37 as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The building has a simple Neoclassical design with some Art Deco details and a mural by Olive Rush in the lobby. In 1986 the post office was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and it is...

Fort Davy Crockett

Added by yongli on 05/09/2016 - 16:19, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 10:58
Fort Davy Crockett was one of three known nineteenth-century forts and trading posts on the western side of the Rocky Mountains, in the drainage systems of the Green and Colorado Rivers. From the mid-1830s to 1840, Fort Davy Crockett, along with Fort Uncompahgre and Fort Uintah, served as centers...

Fort Garland

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 15:53, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:28
The US Army operated Fort Garland in the San Luis Valley for twenty-five years, from 1858 to 1883. The fort was built to protect early settlers from Native American raids in the years before treaties, reservations, and removal made that mission obsolete. After decades of neglect, the fort was...

Fort Peabody

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 15:03, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 10:58
Built on Imogene Pass during the Western Federation of Miners strike in Telluride in 1903–4, Fort Peabody was a Colorado National Guard post intended to prevent deported union members and activists from returning to Telluride via the pass. Named after Governor James Peabody , who deployed the...

Fort Uncompahgre

Added by yongli on 08/15/2016 - 16:13, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 10:58
Fort Uncompahgre was constructed in 1828 by Antoine Robidoux , a trader based out of Mexican Santa Fé. The trading post was situated about two miles down from the confluence of the Gunnison and Uncompahgre Rivers near the present-day community of Delta in western Colorado. The precise location of...

Fort Vasquez

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 16:08, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 10:58
Louis Vasquez and Andrew Sublette operated the fur- trading post Fort Vasquez from 1835 to 1842. After ruthless competition and changing trade patterns caused the pair to leave the fort, it served as a landmark along the South Platte River Trail before gradually disappearing back into the plains...

Four Mile House

Added by yongli on 10/24/2016 - 15:41, last changed on 03/08/2017 - 12:50
Named for its location four miles from the intersection of Broadway and Colfax Avenue in Denver , Four Mile House was built in 1859 and served in the 1860s as the last stage stop before the city along the Smoky Hill Trail . When railroads replaced stagecoaches in the 1870s, the property became a...

Francisco Plaza

Added by yongli on 11/06/2015 - 13:51, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 10:58
The Fort Garland merchant John M. Francisco and his trading partner, Henry Daigre, built Francisco Plaza near the Cucharas River, at the site of present-day La Veta , in 1862. The first dwelling in the Cucharas Valley , the plaza served as a defensive fort as well as a trading post, farm, and ranch...

Franktown Cave

Added by yongli on 06/22/2016 - 13:17, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
Located two and a half miles southwest of Franktown, Franktown Cave is a prehistoric archaeological site in a large rockshelter that contained artifacts from prehistoric occupations over 8,000 years. Some of the findings include rare perishable artifacts manufactured from hide, wood and fiber, and...

Georgetown–Silver Plume Historic District

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 16:27, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 11:02
Located in the upper Clear Creek Valley about forty-five miles west of Denver , the Georgetown–Silver Plume Historic District is one of the best preserved historic mining districts in Colorado. In the late nineteenth century, Georgetown thrived as the area’s commercial and professional center,...

German Congregational Zion Church (Zion United Church of Christ)

Added by yongli on 11/06/2015 - 14:25, last changed on 02/22/2017 - 15:26
The German Congregational Zion Church of Sterling was established by Germans from Russia in 1911, and the church building itself was constructed in 1926–27. The oldest church in Sterling founded by the German Russian community, it helped immigrants hold on to their language and traditions. Today...

Glen Eyrie

Added by yongli on 03/15/2016 - 16:33, last changed on 03/07/2017 - 14:28
Originally built in the early 1870s at the mouth of Queens Canyon in Colorado Springs , Glen Eyrie was home to city founder William Jackson Palmer . In the early twentieth century Palmer expanded the house into an elaborate stone castle, but he died soon after its completion. The property passed...

Glenwood Springs Hydroelectric Plant (Glenwood Center for the Arts)

Added by yongli on 09/11/2015 - 16:01, last changed on 03/17/2017 - 11:04
Built in 1888, the Glenwood Springs Hydroelectric Plant building is one of the earliest hydroelectric plants still standing in Colorado. The plant made Glenwood Springs one of the first cities in the United States to be lit by hydroelectric power, and the plant continued to supply some of the city’...

Gordon Creek Burial Site

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 13:08, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 11:40
Discovered in 1963, the Gordon Creek Burial Site is a Paleo-Indian burial in the Roosevelt National Forest in north-central Colorado. The site, which dates to about 7700 BCE, contained the skeleton of a young woman and several artifacts apparently buried with her. Recently the site has been...

Governor’s Residence at Boettcher Mansion

Added by yongli on 08/29/2016 - 14:44, last changed on 04/14/2017 - 13:58
Located at 400 Eighth Avenue in Denver , the Governor’s Residence at the Boettcher Mansion was originally built in 1908 for the Cheesman family. In 1924 Gladys Cheesman Evans sold the Colonial Revival residence to Claude K. Boettcher , who lived there with his wife for more than three decades...

Granada War Relocation Center (Amache)

Added by yongli on 01/30/2017 - 10:01, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 10:32
The federal government built the Granada War Relocation Center, also known as Camp Amache, after the bombing of Pearl Harbor to imprison Japanese Americans during World War II. Fearing that Japanese Americans might sympathize with Japan and work against the United States during the war, the federal...

Great House

Added by yongli on 06/23/2016 - 11:22, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
“Great House” refers to a class of ancient Ancestral Puebloan structures from the ninth through thirteenth century. Great Houses were monumental, geometrically formal constructions, with thick stone masonry walls made with careful craftsmanship. While inspired by the regional center in Chaco Canyon...

Greeley Tribune Building

Added by yongli on 09/15/2015 - 12:54, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 11:40
The Beaux-Arts Greeley Tribune Building opened in 1929 to house the operations of the Greeley Tribune , Weld County’s oldest newspaper. From 1937 until the mid-1950s, the building also contained the offices of the Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District, which administered the Colorado–Big...

Guggenheim Hall

Added by yongli on 12/19/2016 - 15:32, last changed on 12/19/2016 - 15:43
Built in 1910, Guggenheim Hall is located on the northeast side of the Oval on the campus of Colorado State University (CSU) in Fort Collins . As the headquarters of the school’s home economics program in the early twentieth century, the neoclassical building is significant for its role in the...

Hackberry Springs

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 14:26, last changed on 04/06/2017 - 09:45
A perennial spring in a dry section of southeastern Colorado, Hackberry Springs has seen continuous human use for up to 7,000 years. The spring was also the site of the Battle of Bloody Springs, the last documented skirmish between Plains Indians and the US military in southeastern Colorado. For...

Handy Chapel

Added by yongli on 10/24/2016 - 15:50, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:01
Built in 1892 in downtown Grand Junction , Handy Chapel is affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church but is legally owned by the black citizens of the city. In more than 120 years of existence, the chapel has served the community primarily as a church but also as an important social...

Hanging Flume

Added by yongli on 11/09/2015 - 13:05, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 11:40
The hanging flume is a three-sided, six-foot-wide and four-foot-deep wooden trough that is suspended for ten miles along sandstone walls 150 feet or more above the San Miguel and Dolores Rivers. During late nineteenth-century gold rushes, many Western mining companies built flumes to get water to...

Hartman Gymnasium

Added by yongli on 01/31/2017 - 15:37, last changed on 01/31/2017 - 15:39
The Hartman Gymnasium was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in about 1938–39 and quickly became an important center for athletic events and community gatherings. The school to which the gymnasium was originally attached was demolished in the early 1980s, leaving the two-story...

Hildebrand Ranch

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 14:59, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 11:40
Settled by Frank Hildebrand in 1866, Hildebrand Ranch was a large cattle ranch and farm along Deer Creek southwest of Denver . After remaining in the hands of the Hildebrand family for more than a century, the ranch was condemned by the Army Corps of Engineers in 1971 for the construction of...

Holly City Hall

Added by yongli on 01/31/2017 - 15:47, last changed on 01/31/2017 - 15:47
Located at the corner of East Cheyenne and South Third Streets, the Holly City Hall was built in 1938 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project designed to consolidate the town of Holly ’s administrative offices and departments. It never accomplished that goal, but the town fire and police...

Holly Gymnasium

Added by yongli on 01/31/2017 - 16:03, last changed on 02/01/2017 - 10:52
The Holly Gymnasium was built in 1936–38 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. The two-story Modernist building is made of local Niobrara limestone and was the only gymnasium in Holly until a new school complex was constructed in 1965. Since then the gym has continued to be used for...

Holly Santa Fe Depot (Town Hall)

Added by yongli on 09/15/2015 - 13:00, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 11:40
The Holly train depot opened in 1912, at the height of the eastern plains agricultural boom after the early twentieth-century introduction of sugar beets. For decades the depot linked farmers and consumers to the rest of the country by rail, allowing them to sell agricultural produce to distant...

Holy Ghost Catholic Church

Added by yongli on 10/28/2016 - 10:51, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Located at 1900 California Street in Denver , Holy Ghost Catholic Church is known for its long tradition of ministering to downtown Denver’s poor and homeless, as well as for its Renaissance-style church building designed in 1923 by Jules Jacques Benois Benedict . For nearly twenty years, however,...

Homestead

Added by yongli on 11/10/2015 - 13:09, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 11:40
Homesteading was the means by which most of the private land in the wide expanses of the Midwest and western United States came under private ownership. Although the word Homestead can mean a family home and the adjoining land, an ancestral family home, or simply a house, its historical meaning in...

Hornbek House

Added by yongli on 12/19/2016 - 15:58, last changed on 12/19/2016 - 16:02
Built in 1878, the Hornbek House in Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument is significant for its association with Adeline Hornbek, a single mother who started a ranch in the Florissant area and lived in the house for twenty-seven years. The large one-and-a-half-story house is also an outstanding...

Hotel Jerome

Added by yongli on 09/15/2015 - 13:08, last changed on 03/17/2017 - 10:23
Built in 1889 by Jerome B. Wheeler (1841–1918), the Hotel Jerome was Aspen ’s original luxury hotel. After the 1893 silver crash destroyed the town’s economy, the hotel survived as a boardinghouse and slipped into comfortable shabbiness. When Aspen developed into a resort after World War II, the...

Howelsen Hill

Added by yongli on 11/09/2015 - 15:40, last changed on 03/17/2017 - 11:02
Howelsen Hill in Steamboat Springs is the oldest ski area in continuing use in Colorado and one of the few international ski jump competition sites in the United States. Built in 1915 by skiing pioneer Carl Howelsen (1877–1955) and the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club for the city’s second...

Hugo Municipal Pool

Added by yongli on 02/01/2017 - 11:03, last changed on 02/01/2017 - 11:09
Located at the corner of Fourth Street and Sixth Avenue in Hugo, the Hugo Municipal Pool was built in 1936–38 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project designed to provide employment and improve quality of life during the Great Depression . The pool’s bathhouse is notable for combining a...

Iglesia de San Francisco de Assisi

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 17:24, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:30
Located in San Francisco in the southeastern San Luis Valley , Iglesia de San Francisco de Assisi is a Catholic church featuring Gothic and Mission Revival elements. Constructed in the 1950s using concrete blocks and casement windows, the building shows how the local parish adapted modern building...

Independence

Added by yongli on 12/19/2016 - 16:04, last changed on 12/19/2016 - 16:18
Located just west of Independence Pass at an elevation of about 10,900 feet, the town of Independence was established in 1879 and boomed briefly in the early 1880s, reaching an estimated population of 1,500. In the mid-1880s, the town’s harsh climate and the availability of better jobs in Aspen led...

Indian Grove

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 13:54, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 12:35
Indian Grove consists of seventy-two ponderosa pines in Great Sand Dunes National Park that were peeled by Native Americans in the 1800s to get bark for food, medicine, and other uses. First recorded in the 1970s by archaeologist Marilyn Martorano, Indian Grove is one of the two largest clusters of...

Inter-Laken Hotel

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 14:53, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 12:35
Originally established in 1879 as the Lakeside Resort, the Inter-Laken Hotel was developed by James V. Dexter into a high-class, late nineteenth-century resort near Twin Lakes . Popular for about two decades, the hotel declined and eventually closed in the early twentieth century as a series of...

J Bar Double C Ranch

Added by yongli on 11/09/2015 - 16:23, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 12:35
The Denver Jewish Community Center (JCC) established J Bar Double C Ranch in 1952. The next summer the ranch, also known as JCC Ranch, began to host JCC Ranch Camp, Colorado’s second Jewish summer camp and the state’s first summer camp with a kosher kitchen. Over its more than sixty years in...

Jackson County Courthouse

Added by yongli on 11/09/2015 - 15:55, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 10:51
Built in 1913, the three-story Jackson County Courthouse in Walden is the most important building in the county. Designed by the prominent early twentieth-century Denver architect William N. Bowman (1868–1944), the building continues to house most county functions today. Incorporated in 1890,...

Julesburg Public Library

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 09:55, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
Located at the corner of East Fourth and Cedar Streets, the Julesburg Public Library was built in 1937, after the Julesburg Woman’s Club led a long-term effort to get a permanent library building for the community. Designed by Stanley Morse in the Art Moderne style, the library includes several...

Julesburg Union Pacific Depot

Added by yongli on 11/09/2015 - 16:34, last changed on 12/05/2016 - 14:17
Completed in 1930, the Union Pacific Railroad depot in Julesburg is a reminder of the town’s long-standing ties to the railroad. In the 1860s Julesburg served briefly as the end-of-track town when the Union Pacific was building its transcontinental line west, and the town even moved twice to...

Justina Ford House

Added by yongli on 08/29/2016 - 15:30, last changed on 04/19/2017 - 14:42
Built in 1890 at 2335 Arapahoe Street in Denver , the Justina Ford House served for forty years as the home and office of Colorado’s first black woman physician. In 1984 the house was moved to save it from demolition, and after renovations it opened at 3091 California Street as the new home of the...

Ken-Caryl South Valley Archaeological District

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 15:59, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 12:35
Located just north of Deer Creek in the valley between the hogback ridge and the foothills west of Denver, the Ken-Caryl South Valley Archaeological District contains rock shelters that were used by prehistoric peoples from at least the Late Paleo-Indian period (before 6000 BCE) through the Early...

Kennicott Cabin

Added by yongli on 10/27/2016 - 15:45, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 10:42
Located about three miles north of Westcliffe in the Wet Mountain Valley , the Kennicott Cabin is a rare example of a two-story log cabin and is significant for its association with the early settlement of the area. Frank Kennicott built the cabin on his original homestead in 1869–70, and his...

Kewclaw Archaeological Site

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 16:22, last changed on 04/27/2017 - 08:10
Located in Battlement Mesa , the Kewclaw Archaeological Site contains the best-preserved Archaic period (5500 BCE–150 CE) structure in Colorado. Dating to at least 1095 BCE, the Kewclaw pithouse was built in a resource-rich area that would have allowed a nuclear family to use it as a base for...

La Casa Ruibalid

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 09:58, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Built sometime in the 1880s or 1890s, La Casa Ruibalid is a Territorial adobe house on the Rio Blanco about ten miles south of Pagosa Springs . Believed to be the second house built in the Rio Blanco area, it was occupied throughout the first half of the twentieth century by Casimiro Ruibalid and...

La Junta City Park

Added by yongli on 11/10/2015 - 11:04, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 12:35
La Junta City Park is a prime example of a New Deal project on Colorado’s eastern plains. As a result of work carried out between 1933 and 1941, a poorly drained park became the city’s primary outdoor recreation space, complete with stone walls, benches, and buildings; a new lake; picnic shelters;...

Lamar Post Office

Added by yongli on 02/01/2017 - 11:17, last changed on 02/01/2017 - 11:17
The Lamar Post Office was built in 1936 as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. Designed by Pueblo architect Walter DeMordaunt , the building is the only Spanish Colonial Revival post office built as part of the New Deal in Colorado. It is still in use and was listed on the National...

Lamb Spring Archaeological Site

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 16:26, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
Located in Douglas County southeast of Chatfield State Park, the Lamb Spring Archaeological Site is the only major site with Paleo-Indian (before 6000 BCE) deposits in the metropolitan Denver area. First excavated in 1961–62, the site contains bison and mammoth bones from the Paleo-Indian period,...

Lariat Trail Scenic Mountain Drive

Added by yongli on 12/19/2016 - 16:26, last changed on 03/07/2017 - 13:28
Planned and built by William “Cement Bill” Williams from about 1910 to 1914, the Lariat Trail Scenic Mountain Drive winds roughly five miles and 1,500 feet from Golden to the top of Lookout Mountain . One of the earliest scenic mountain drives in Colorado, the road provided access to the new Denver...

Larimer Square

Added by yongli on 08/29/2016 - 15:52, last changed on 04/19/2017 - 14:50
Located in the heart of downtown Denver , Larimer Square refers to the 1400 block of Larimer Street, which was named for the city’s founder and served as its main street for more than three decades. By the 1890s, Sixteenth Street became the city’s top commercial address and Larimer Street began a...

Leadville National Fish Hatchery

Added by yongli on 09/15/2015 - 13:20, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 13:36
The Leadville National Fish Hatchery was established in 1889 at the base of Mt. Massive and has raised fish to stock the country’s inland waterways for more than 125 years. After successfully eliminating a whirling disease outbreak in the early 2000s, the hatchery began to raise the greenback...

Lincoln Hills

Added by yongli on 08/29/2016 - 16:51, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:16
Located along South Boulder Creek about ten miles due west of Eldorado Springs and an hour’s drive from downtown Denver , Lincoln Hills was established in the 1920s as one of a small handful of black resorts in the United States and the only one west of the Mississippi River. Easily accessible by...

Lincoln Home

Added by yongli on 12/20/2016 - 09:21, last changed on 12/20/2016 - 09:24
The Lincoln Home in Pueblo was started by the city’s Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs and became the only known black orphanage in Colorado. Established in 1906, the home moved in 1914 to two connected brick houses on North Grand Avenue, where it remained until the city’s segregated orphanage...

Lindenmeier Folsom Site

Added by yongli on 02/23/2016 - 11:02, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 13:36
Lindenmeier is a large Native American archaeological site dating to the end of the Pleistocene epoch, or Ice Age, in northern Larimer County. The site contains stone tools and animal bones interpreted by archaeologists as the fragmentary remains of an ancient campsite and associated bison kill,...

LoDaisKa Archaeological Site

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 13:52, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 13:36
First excavated in 1956–57, the LoDaisKa Archaeological Site south of Morrison is a rockshelter that contains evidence of about 7,500 years of human occupation, from the Paleo-Indian period (before 6000 BCE) to the Early Ceramic (150–1150 CE). The site is especially significant for three main...

Lodore School

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 10:04, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Built in 1911, the Lodore School is located off Colorado State Highway 318 in what is now Browns Park National Wildlife Refuge in Moffat County . The building has served as a rural community center throughout its existence and also functioned as a schoolhouse for much of the early twentieth century...

Lorraine Lodge/Boettcher Mansion

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 16:55, last changed on 04/14/2017 - 13:58
Charles Boettcher (1852–1948), one of Colorado’s most important early businessmen and philanthropists, built Lorraine Lodge (now known as Boettcher Mansion) in 1917 as a summer retreat at the top of Lookout Mountain , west of Golden. It stands as a particularly elaborate example of the rustic...

Los Piños Indian Agency

Added by yongli on 04/29/2016 - 15:32, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 13:36
After the Treaty of 1868, the Los Piños Indian Agency became the center of governmental authority for the Uncompahgre Utes on the Ute Indian Reservation in western Colorado. While largely forgotten after its abandonment in 1881, the site of the second iteration of the agency is now under...

Louviers

Added by yongli on 11/10/2015 - 11:55, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
Originally established as a Du Pont company town in 1906–8, Louviers Village south of Denver is distinctive in Colorado because it was never associated with either agriculture or mining. Planned by Du Pont as a model community to attract long-term employees for the company’s nearby the Louviers...

Lowry Ruin

Added by yongli on 11/20/2015 - 14:09, last changed on 03/16/2017 - 07:58
Named for early homesteader George Lowry, the Lowry ruin near Cortez is a pueblo with thirty-seven rooms, eight kivas, and one Great Kiva. Built between about 1090 and 1120 CE, the Ancestral Puebloan ruin dates to the late Pueblo II (900–1150 CE) and Pueblo III (1150–1350 CE) periods...

Manitou Experimental Forest Station

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 13:36, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 13:36
Located about seven miles north of Woodland Park , the Manitou Experimental Forest Station was established in 1936 for the US Forest Service to study resource management in ponderosa pine lands. Along with the Fraser Experimental Forest , it is one of two experimental forests in Colorado. The...

Mantle's Cave

Added by yongli on 11/16/2015 - 11:17, last changed on 03/16/2017 - 09:46
Mantle’s Cave is the most important Fremont period archaeological site excavated in northwestern Colorado. Artifacts recovered from the cave were instrumental in defining the Fremont culture. Because the cave is dry, artifacts that are not usually seen at archaeological sites were preserved and...

Marble Mill Site

Added by yongli on 11/20/2015 - 15:34, last changed on 03/23/2017 - 11:17
The deposits in the Crystal River valley are the only major source of marble in Colorado. Quarries in the area were developed most extensively by Channing Meek’s Colorado Yule Marble Company, which constructed a vast marble mill that operated from 1907 to 1941. The quarries have supplied marble for...

Matchless Mine

Added by yongli on 11/06/2015 - 10:58, last changed on 04/14/2017 - 16:23
One of the most famous mines in Colorado, the Matchless Mine in the Leadville Mining District produced millions of dollars’ worth of silver for its owner, Horace Tabor , in the early 1880s. The mine is perhaps best known, however, as the home of Horace Tabor’s second wife, Elizabeth “Baby Doe”...

Mesa Verde National Park

Added by yongli on 08/21/2015 - 11:50, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 06:19
Mesa Verde National Park is the largest of the National Park Service parcels protecting cultural resources in Colorado, with nearly 5,000 documented sites, including about 600 cliff dwellings. A majority of the sites are associated with Ancestral Pueblo cultures and date to different time periods,...

Mesa Verde National Park Administrative District

Added by yongli on 10/27/2016 - 15:55, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
The Mesa Verde National Park Administrative District consists of six Pueblo Revival structures originally built by park superintendent Jesse Nusbaum along the rim of Spruce Tree Canyon in the 1920s. The buildings were the first in the National Park Service to highlight a park’s cultural theme, and...

Midland Roundhouse

Added by yongli on 10/24/2016 - 15:59, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
Located at the corner of South Twenty-First Street and US Highway 24 on the west side of Colorado Springs , the Midland Roundhouse is a relatively rare example of a surviving nineteenth-century railroad roundhouse that has been adapted to a new use. Built in about 1889 for the Colorado Midland...

Miller House

Added by yongli on 10/24/2016 - 16:38, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
Located at 409 East Cleveland Street in Lafayette , the Miller House was the longtime home of town founder Mary Miller . In 1983 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Today the one-story house remains a private, single-family residence. Mary Miller named Lafayette after her...

Milne Farm

Added by yongli on 11/06/2015 - 12:53, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 10:41
First established in the 1880s as a homestead associated with the Greeley agricultural colony, Milne Farm sits just west of Lucerne in Weld County. The Milne family has owned the farm continuously for more than 125 years and has long been involved in irrigation , civic improvement, and business in...

Minnequa Steelworks Office

Added by Nick Johnson on 04/20/2016 - 10:48, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 06:19
Built by the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company (CF&I) in 1901–2, the Minnequa Steelworks office building and medical dispensary in Pueblo are among the best examples of Mission-style architecture in Colorado. The dispensary helped provide healthcare to CF&I’s thousands of workers, and the...

Montoya Ranch

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 10:18, last changed on 10/31/2016 - 10:22
Located near the Huerfano River about twenty miles northwest of Walsenburg , Montoya Ranch is a large adobe building originally built around 1869 by Hispano settlers in the area. It was later occupied by the Montoya family, who operated a sheep ranch, and then by the Lebanese Faris family, who used...

Monument Valley Park

Added by yongli on 02/01/2017 - 13:04, last changed on 04/14/2017 - 16:20
Monument Valley Park is a roughly two-mile linear park along Monument Creek in the heart of Colorado Springs . Developed and donated to the city by William Jackson Palmer , the 165-acre park opened in 1907 and has been one of the city’s most popular recreation sites for more than a century. The...

Morefield Mound

Added by yongli on 02/03/2017 - 13:18, last changed on 03/16/2017 - 09:16
Morefield Mound sits in the middle of the wide valley at the bottom of Morefield Canyon in Mesa Verde National Park . It served as a water supply for ancient Native Americans a thousand years ago, making it one of the earliest known domestic water-supply works in the United States. The reservoir...

Morgan County Courthouse and Jail

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 13:57, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 10:51
Morgan County’s 1921 jail and 1936 courthouse in Fort Morgan replaced the county’s original facilities after the county had outgrown them. The courthouse was funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) and designed by the modernist Colorado architect Eugene Groves . In 1988 both facilities were...

Morrison

Added by yongli on 02/01/2017 - 13:48, last changed on 02/01/2017 - 14:04
Morrison is a small tourist-oriented town of restaurants and antique shops located along Bear Creek in the valley south of Red Rocks , about fifteen miles southwest of Denver . Established in 1872, the town relied on George Morrison’s quarrying industry in its early years but gradually shifted to a...

Mount Vernon

Added by yongli on 02/01/2017 - 14:00, last changed on 02/01/2017 - 14:03
The town of Mount Vernon was established in 1859 at the base of Mount Vernon Canyon, west of Denver . The town is best known as the home of Robert W. Steele , who made it the de facto capital of the unofficial Territory of Jefferson while he was governor in 1859–61. Today two early stone houses...

Mountaineer Archaeological Site

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 13:31, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 06:19
Discovered in 1994, the Mountaineer Archaeological Site consists of more than sixty clusters of prehistoric artifacts on top of Tenderfoot Mountain near Gunnison . The most significant discovery at the site has been structures dating to the Paleo-Indian period (9500–5800 BCE) and associated with...

Oil Spring

Added by yongli on 10/27/2016 - 16:07, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
Located along Fourmile Creek (also known as Oil Creek) about six miles north of Cañon City , Oil Spring is a shallow oil seep that was the site of the first commercial oil production in Colorado. Primarily active from 1860 to 1881, the seep produced at most one to three barrels of oil per day. In...

Overland Trail

Added by yongli on 03/11/2016 - 16:42, last changed on 04/06/2017 - 09:53
The Overland Trail was an important nineteenth-century corridor for explorers and traders that ran from Atchison, Kansas, to Fort Bridger, Wyoming. It followed preexisting Native American trails throughout most of its length. The Overland Trail followed the Oregon Trail across Nebraska but veered...

Pagosa Springs

Added by yongli on 11/20/2015 - 16:09, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
Home to the deepest hot spring aquifer in the world, Pagosa Springs was a popular destination for local Native Americans before it developed into a white settlement in the 1870s. The area supported a thriving lumber industry in the early twentieth century. Now it survives on tourism to the hot...

Peck House

Added by yongli on 11/20/2015 - 16:20, last changed on 04/07/2017 - 16:38
Built by James Peck in 1863, the Peck House in Empire was for many years the oldest hotel still operating in Colorado. An important Empire institution, the house began hosting stagecoach travelers and miners in the 1860s and became a formal hotel in 1872. The hotel closed in the spring of 2014. The...

Pedro-Botz House

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 10:47, last changed on 10/31/2016 - 10:47
Built in 1904, the Pedro-Botz House is a log dwelling in the working-class community of Smeltertown, which developed near the Ohio and Colorado Smelter northwest of Salida . Occupied initially by the Hungarian Pedro family and later by the Yugoslavian Botz family, the house serves as a reminder of...

Perry-Mansfield Performing Arts School and Camp

Added by yongli on 08/25/2016 - 11:01, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:22
Established by Charlotte Perry and Portia Mansfield in 1913, the Perry-Mansfield Performing Arts School and Camp near Steamboat Springs is the oldest continuously operated performing arts camp in the United States. In the early twentieth century, the camp served as an important site for the...

Pike’s Stockade

Added by yongli on 03/07/2016 - 16:17, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 06:43
The Pike Stockade is a reconstruction of a small fortress built by the soldiers of the 1806–7 Zebulon Pike expedition. It is located on the Rio Conejos , a tributary of the Rio Grande , in the San Luis Valley , seventeen miles southeast of Alamosa . Administered by History Colorado , the stockade...

Raton Pass

Added by yongli on 10/27/2016 - 16:20, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
At an elevation of 7,798 feet in the Raton Range on the border between Colorado and New Mexico, Raton Pass has served as an important transportation corridor since at least the start of the Santa Fé Trail in 1821. Despite being on the less popular Mountain Branch of the Santa Fé Trail, the pass has...

Rio Grande Hotel

Added by yongli on 12/02/2015 - 13:42, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 06:43
The Rio Grande Hotel was built in the spring of 1892, when Creede faced a severe housing shortage as thousands of prospectors arrived into town on the recently completed railroad. The hotel withstood the town’s major 1892 fire and is a rare example of an early mining-camp boarding house. After...

Rock Ledge Ranch (Buena Vista)

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 10:59, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
Established in 1887 by Ernest Wilber, Rock Ledge Ranch is a historic ranch four miles west of Buena Vista in the Upper Arkansas Valley . Since 1908 the ranch has been owned and operated by multiple generations of the Franzel family, which immigrated to the United States from Germany in the late...

Rocky Mountain National Park Administration Building

Added by yongli on 10/27/2016 - 16:34, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
The Rocky Mountain National Park Administration Building, also known as the Beaver Meadows Visitor Center, is one of the most historically and architecturally significant National Park Service buildings in the country. It was listed as a National Historic Landmark in 2001. Designed by Frank Lloyd...

Rooney Ranch

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 10:01, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 10:43
Established in 1861 between Green Mountain and the hogback known as Dinosaur Ridge , Rooney Ranch is the oldest property continuously operated by the same family in Jefferson County . It was also the county’s largest cattle ranch ever and has one of the oldest stone buildings in the county. Today...

Rossonian Hotel

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 14:07, last changed on 04/25/2017 - 17:25
The most prominent building at the Five Points intersection in Denver , the Rossonian Hotel opened in 1912 as the Baxter Hotel. Renamed the Rossonian in 1929, its lounge acquired a reputation as the best jazz club between the Midwest and the West Coast, with performances by jazz greats such as Duke...

Saguache

Added by yongli on 12/02/2015 - 14:09, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:32
The town of Saguache in the northern San Luis Valley began as an agricultural community after Ute Indians were removed from the area in the 1860s. Saguache boomed in the 1870s and 1880s, when it became an important starting-off point for miners headed to the San Juan Mountains, and again in the...

Salida Steam Plant

Added by yongli on 12/02/2015 - 14:30, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 06:43
The Salida steam plant was one of the first Edison electric plants in the country. Built in 1887 by the Salida Edison Electric Light Company, it operated until the 1950s. After 1989 the building was renovated and converted into a city-owned theater and event center. Bringing Electricity to Salida...

San Rafael Presbyterian Church

Added by yongli on 11/21/2016 - 16:27, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:26
Located in Mogote in the southern San Luis Valley , San Rafael Presbyterian Church was probably built in 1895–97 and used regularly until 1965. It is the second-oldest church in Conejos County and one of the few historically Spanish-speaking Presbyterian churches in Colorado. In 1999 it was listed...

Seventeen Mile House

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 14:19, last changed on 12/05/2016 - 14:30
Named for its location seventeen miles from the intersection of Broadway and Colfax Avenue in Denver , Seventeen Mile House operated in the 1860s and 1870s as a tavern and inn along the southern branch of the Smoky Hill Trail . After the arrival of the railroad ended stage travel along the route,...

Shavano Valley Rock Art Site

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 11:03, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 07:05
Located on the eastern edge of the Uncompahgre Plateau near Montrose , the Shavano Valley Rock Art Site is one of the most important concentrations of rock art in western Colorado. Used from at least 1000 BCE to 1900 CE by Archaic and Ute peoples, the site contains twenty-six panels of aboriginal...

Shenandoah-Dives Mill

Added by yongli on 08/25/2016 - 12:08, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
Located two miles northeast of Silverton , the Shenandoah-Dives Mill (also known as the Mayflower Mill) was constructed in 1929 and became the longest-running mill in the San Juan Mountains . Operating most years from 1930 to 1991, the mill processed a total of nearly 10 million tons of rock and...

Silverton

Added by yongli on 02/01/2017 - 14:17, last changed on 02/01/2017 - 14:26
Silverton is a historic mining town established in 1874 in Baker’s Park in the heart of the San Juan Mountains . After the Denver & Rio Grande Railway (now the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad ) reached the town in 1882, the surrounding region experienced a mining boom that lasted...

Smuggler-Union Hydroelectric Power Plant

Added by yongli on 12/02/2015 - 16:27, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 07:05
The photogenic Smuggler-Union Hydroelectric Power Plant sits precariously near the top of Bridal Veil Falls near Telluride . It is the last structure left from the Smuggler-Union Mining Company, one of the state’s most important mineral producers in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries...

Snake Blakeslee Archaeological Site

Added by yongli on 08/25/2016 - 12:18, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 07:05
Located in Apishapa Canyon in southeastern Colorado, the Snake Blakeslee Archaeological Site consists of two residential room clusters and several outlying structures that apparently made up a single Apishapa phase (1050–1450 CE) community. First described in the 1930s by Etienne B. Renaud, the...

St. Cajetan’s Catholic Church

Added by yongli on 10/24/2016 - 16:43, last changed on 10/24/2016 - 16:53
Located at what was once the corner of Ninth and Lawrence Streets in the Auraria Higher Education Center , St. Cajetan’s Catholic Church was built in 1926 to serve the Latino community of west Denver. The first church for Spanish-speaking Catholics in Denver, it was designed in the Spanish Colonial...

St. Francis of Assisi Mission Church

Added by yongli on 11/22/2016 - 12:37, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:31
Built in 1881, St. Francis of Assisi Mission Church is a Catholic church in Los Valdeses, a town along the Rio Grande about halfway between Del Norte and Monte Vista . One of the few Hispano churches in the San Luis Valley with a cruciform plan, St. Francis of Assisi held regular Masses until the...

Stanley Arms

Added by yongli on 11/21/2016 - 16:32, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
Located at the northwest corner of East 10th Avenue and North Lafayette Street in Denver , the Stanley Arms opened in 1937 as one of the city’s earliest examples of an International Style apartment building. The building is best known as the home of medical researcher Florence Rena Sabin while she...

Stanley Hotel

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 15:07, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:34
Designed and funded by Freelan Oscar Stanley , the Stanley Hotel opened in 1909 in Estes Park. The first-class resort helped make Estes Park into a tourist destination, especially after the establishment of Rocky Mountain National Park in 1915. In the late twentieth century, the hotel gained...

State Armory (Craig)

Added by yongli on 11/04/2015 - 16:32, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 07:05
Built in 1922, the State Armory in Craig was one of many new armories built to house national guard units across the state. The Craig building, based on a design by John James Huddart , served for many decades as a place for military training and community events. It now houses the Museum of...

State Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home

Added by yongli on 02/01/2017 - 14:51, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:32
Located east of Monte Vista in the San Luis Valley , the State Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home was established in 1889 as a home for aging and disabled Civil War veterans in Colorado. The facility grew over the years to include cottages, apartments, social buildings, and a modern nursing home, and it...

Staunton Ranch

Added by yongli on 10/27/2016 - 16:50, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
Located north of Shaffers Crossing about forty-five miles southwest of Denver , Staunton Ranch was a 1,720-acre ranch owned by the doctors Archibald and Rachael Staunton. The Stauntons used the ranch as a second home and also operated a sawmill and hosted summer camps on the property. In 1986 the...

Stranges Grocery

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 11:54, last changed on 04/17/2017 - 15:58
Located at 226 Pitkin Avenue in Grand Junction , Stranges Grocery is a two-story commercial building that housed one of four Italian groceries in the early twentieth century. Built in 1909 by local stonemason Nunzio Grasso, the grocery was owned and operated by Italian immigrant Carl Stranges and...

Summit Lake

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 14:12, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
Located at an elevation of 12,830 feet on Mt. Evans , Summit Lake is a forty-acre alpine lake known for its scenic beauty and unique ecosystem. Acquired by Denver in 1924 as part of the city’s system of mountain parks , it is the highest Denver park as well as the highest city park in North America...

Tabeguache Cave

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 14:53, last changed on 04/27/2017 - 08:14
Located southwest of Montrose , Tabeguache Cave was used during the Basketmaker II period (400 BCE–400 CE) of the Ancestral Puebloan tradition. Excavated in 1939–41 by the Colorado archaeologist Clarence T. Hurst , it was Hurst’s first excavation in the area and led him to excavate many other...

Telephone Building

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 15:47, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 20:53
Completed in 1929, the Telephone Building at 931 14th Street in Denver served for fifty-five years as the headquarters of Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph . Designed by architect William N. Bowman in a combination of Art Deco and Gothic Revival styles, the building helped bring modern...

The Bee Family Farm

Added by yongli on 02/24/2016 - 15:25, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 10:41
The Bee Family Farm is a historic farm located between Fort Collins and Wellington. In operation as a working farm since 1894, it is now an outdoor museum that preserves and displays the family’s historic artifacts, buildings, and fields to help visitors experience the history of farming in...

The Broadmoor

Added by yongli on 08/26/2016 - 15:42, last changed on 04/14/2017 - 16:16
Perennially ranked one of the top resorts in the United States, the Broadmoor opened just southwest of Colorado Springs in 1918. Built on the site of a failed casino complex and upscale suburban development at the foot of Cheyenne Mountain , the Broadmoor has grown over the decades into a sprawling...

The Fort

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 15:56, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 20:53
The Fort, an adobe restaurant just south of Morrison, was modeled on historic Bent’s Old Fort and built using traditional Hispano methods and materials. Designed by William Lumpkins, an architect internationally known for his work in the adobe and Pueblo Revival styles, the Fort served as a...

Torres Cave Archaeological Site

Added by yongli on 08/25/2016 - 12:30, last changed on 04/27/2017 - 08:15
The Torres Cave Archaeological Site is a rock shelter in the wall of a canyon south of La Junta. Excavated in 1977 by the Denver chapter of the Colorado Archaeological Society , the site was probably occupied over several centuries as a seasonal Plains Woodland (350–1000 CE) hunting and foraging...

Treat Hall

Added by yongli on 10/24/2016 - 16:58, last changed on 10/25/2016 - 10:06
Located near the intersection of Montview Boulevard and Quebec Street on the east side of Denver , Treat Hall is a Richardsonian Romanesque academic building that served as the original home of Colorado Women’s College . Completed in 1909, the building was the heart of the Colorado Women’s College...

Trinchera Cave Archaeological District

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 14:58, last changed on 04/27/2017 - 08:17
Located about forty miles east of Trinidad , the Trinchera Cave Archaeological District is known primarily for its large assortment of well-preserved perishable artifacts, such as basketry and sandals. With diverse occupations ranging from the Paleo-Indian period (before 6000 BCE) to the 1800s CE,...

Trujillo Homesteads

Added by yongli on 11/22/2016 - 12:54, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:32
Located in rural Alamosa County along the western boundary of Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve , the Trujillo Homesteads were settled in the 1860s and 1870s by Teofilo Trujillo and his son, Pedro. The history of the homesteads illustrates the conflicts between Hispano and Anglo cultural...

Two Buttes Dam

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 15:03, last changed on 03/17/2017 - 13:02
Intended as a way to irrigate nearby farmland, Two Buttes Dam was built in 1909–10 on Two Buttes Creek, about seventeen miles northeast of Springfield . The resulting reservoir did not irrigate much land and was better used as a site for hunting, fishing, boating, and swimming. In 1970 the...

Vail Pass

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 15:08, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 21:06
Located in the southern Gore Range at an elevation of 10,662 feet, Vail Pass has been the site of periodic human occupations for at least 8,000 years. The prehistoric camp probably served as a high-altitude base when the growing population of nearby Native American groups caused them to expand...

Van Briggle Memorial Pottery Building

Added by yongli on 11/22/2016 - 13:31, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
Built in 1907–8, the Van Briggle Memorial Pottery Building in Colorado Springs was designed by architect Nicolaas van den Arend to serve as the company’s salesroom, pottery plant, and headquarters. Incorporating more than 5,000 tile and terra cotta components designed by Anne Van Briggle , the...

W. E. Heginbotham House

Added by yongli on 12/03/2015 - 12:29, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 21:06
Completed in 1921, Holyoke banker William E. Heginbotham’s large Craftsman-style house with extensive gardens was long one of the most stylish residences in Phillips County . Upon his death in 1968, Heginbotham gave his house to the town of Holyoke , which now uses it as a public library...

Walter and Anna Zion Homestead

Added by yongli on 12/20/2016 - 09:29, last changed on 12/20/2016 - 09:29
The Walter and Anna Zion Homestead is the only known surviving farm complex in eastern Colorado with original sod buildings. Located midway between Idalia and Vernon in Yuma County , the homestead was settled by the Zions in 1909, and the sod buildings were constructed in the 1910s. Zion family...

Washington Park

Added by yongli on 10/28/2016 - 10:23, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
Developed in the 1890s and early 1900s, Washington Park is a scenic recreational area occupying about 160 acres southeast of downtown Denver . Designed around a portion of City Ditch by landscape architects Reinhard Schuetze and Saco DeBoer , the park features two lakes and a large meadow and has a...

Wetmore Post Office

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 15:24, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 21:06
Built in 1879, the Wetmore Post Office building was originally the office, store, and home of Dr. John W. Walters and his wife, Margaret A. Walters. In 1896 Margaret Walters became the town’s postmistress and began to operate the post office out of the building’s store. The post office has occupied...

Wheeler Opera House

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 16:17, last changed on 03/17/2017 - 10:25
The merchant and investor Jerome B. Wheeler (1841–1918) built the Wheeler Opera House in Aspen in 1889, making it the third-largest opera house in Colorado at the time. As Aspen declined after the Panic of 1893 and the demonetization of silver, the Wheeler struggled along until arson shuttered it...

White River Ute Indian Agency

Added by yongli on 04/29/2016 - 15:38, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 21:06
The White River Ute Agency at Meeker , Colorado was established at the same time as the first Los Piños Agency under provisions of the Treaty of 1868 . The agency was intended to serve the White River Ute band as well as some of the other bands from northwestern Colorado. As the site of the Meeker...

Winks Lodge

Added by yongli on 08/30/2016 - 09:07, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:17
Located near Pinecliffe, about ten miles due west of Eldorado Springs and an hour from Denver by car, Winks Lodge was the main hotel and social hub at Lincoln Hills , a historic black resort community in Gilpin County . Opened in 1928 by Denver businessman Obrey Wendell Hamlet, who went by the...

World’s Wonder View Tower

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 16:22, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 21:16
Built in 1926, the six-story World’s Wonder View Tower in Genoa served for many decades as a tourist attraction and way station along US Highway 24. Visitation declined after Interstate 70 rerouted traffic farther away from the tower in the 1970s, but owner Jerry Chubbuck continued to operate the...

Yarmony Archaeological Site

Added by yongli on 08/24/2016 - 15:38, last changed on 04/27/2017 - 08:20
Located near the Colorado River north of State Bridge, the Yarmony Archaeological Site is a prehistoric habitation that saw at least five separate occupations during the Archaic period (6650 BCE–150 CE) and the Late Prehistoric period (150–1540 CE). The most significant components of the site are...

Yucca House National Monument

Added by yongli on 05/02/2016 - 15:29, last changed on 03/16/2017 - 09:14
Yucca House National Monument was established to protect and preserve a large Ancestral Pueblo village south of Cortez in the southwestern corner of Colorado. Yucca House is an important Ancestral Pueblo village based on its size, unique configurations, and prominent, highly visible location in the...

Zia Pueblo

Added by yongli on 05/02/2016 - 15:02, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
The modern pueblo at Zia is one of nineteen in New Mexico that can trace some part of its history to residence in southwestern Colorado. Located on a mesa above the Jemez River about thirty-five miles northwest of Albuquerque, New Mexico, the pueblo of Zia has been the site of farming settlements...

Zion Baptist Church

Added by yongli on 08/30/2016 - 09:35, last changed on 02/24/2017 - 15:06
Organized by former slaves on November 15, 1865, Zion Baptist Church is the oldest black congregation in Colorado and the Rocky Mountain West. Since 1913, the church has occupied a large Romanesque Revival building at 933 East Ogden Street in Five Points , which was originally built in the early...
Subscribe to Historic and Archaeological Sites