You are here

Religious/Spiritual

Capilla de San Isidro

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 17:16, last changed on 11/18/2016 - 17:16
Built in about 1894, Capilla de San Isidro is a Catholic church in Los Fuertes in the San Luis Valley . The church is dedicated to St. Isidore, the patron saint of farming, and continues to play an important role in the local community, with Mass celebrated in Spanish during the summer. In 2013 the...

Capilla de San Juan Bautista (Church of Saint John the Baptist)

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 17:21, last changed on 03/08/2017 - 12:46
Located in La Garita in the northwestern San Luis Valley , Capilla de San Juan Bautista was built in 1924–26 as a Catholic mission church. It replaced an earlier church on the same site, which served as the area’s parish church from 1879 to 1895 but burned down in 1924. After the church was...

Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

Added by yongli on 08/26/2016 - 16:12, last changed on 10/28/2016 - 11:12
Completed in 1912, the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, on East Colfax Avenue in Denver , was the result of decades of effort on the part of the city’s early Catholic community. Sometimes called the “Pinnacled Glory of the West,” the building’s elegant French Gothic design and twin...

Emmanuel Shearith Israel Chapel

Added by yongli on 10/10/2016 - 12:09, last changed on 10/10/2016 - 12:09
Located at what was once the corner of Tenth and Lawrence Streets in the middle of the Auraria Higher Education Center , Emmanuel Shearith Israel Chapel is the oldest surviving religious building in Denver . Built in 1876–77 as the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, the building was sold in 1903 to the...

German Congregational Zion Church (Zion United Church of Christ)

Added by yongli on 11/06/2015 - 14:25, last changed on 02/22/2017 - 15:26
The German Congregational Zion Church of Sterling was established by Germans from Russia in 1911, and the church building itself was constructed in 1926–27. The oldest church in Sterling founded by the German Russian community, it helped immigrants hold on to their language and traditions. Today...

Handy Chapel

Added by yongli on 10/24/2016 - 15:50, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:01
Built in 1892 in downtown Grand Junction , Handy Chapel is affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church but is legally owned by the black citizens of the city. In more than 120 years of existence, the chapel has served the community primarily as a church but also as an important social...

Holy Ghost Catholic Church

Added by yongli on 10/28/2016 - 10:51, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Located at 1900 California Street in Denver , Holy Ghost Catholic Church is known for its long tradition of ministering to downtown Denver’s poor and homeless, as well as for its Renaissance-style church building designed in 1923 by Jules Jacques Benois Benedict . For nearly twenty years, however,...

Iglesia de la Inmaculada Concepción

Added by yongli on 10/28/2016 - 11:01, last changed on 10/28/2016 - 11:01
Located in Chama in the San Luis Valley , Iglesia de la Inmaculada Concepción (Church of the Immaculate Conception) is a Catholic church built in 1938 under the supervision of Father Onofre Martorell . It continues to serve as an important community center, with Mass celebrated in Spanish during...

Iglesia de San Francisco de Assisi

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 17:24, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Located in San Francisco in the southeastern San Luis Valley , Iglesia de San Francisco de Assisi is a Catholic church featuring Gothic and Mission Revival elements. Constructed in the 1950s using concrete blocks and casement windows, the building shows how the local parish adapted modern building...

San Rafael Presbyterian Church

Added by yongli on 11/21/2016 - 16:27, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
Located in Mogote in the southern San Luis Valley , San Rafael Presbyterian Church was probably built in 1895–97 and used regularly until 1965. It is the second-oldest church in Conejos County and one of the few historically Spanish-speaking Presbyterian churches in Colorado. In 1999 it was listed...

St. Cajetan’s Catholic Church

Added by yongli on 10/24/2016 - 16:43, last changed on 10/24/2016 - 16:53
Located at what was once the corner of Ninth and Lawrence Streets in the Auraria Higher Education Center , St. Cajetan’s Catholic Church was built in 1926 to serve the Latino community of west Denver. The first church for Spanish-speaking Catholics in Denver, it was designed in the Spanish Colonial...

St. Francis of Assisi Mission Church

Added by yongli on 11/22/2016 - 12:37, last changed on 11/22/2016 - 12:37
Built in 1881, St. Francis of Assisi Mission Church is a Catholic church in Los Valdeses, a town along the Rio Grande about halfway between Del Norte and Monte Vista . One of the few Hispano churches in the San Luis Valley with a cruciform plan, St. Francis of Assisi held regular Masses until the...

Zion Baptist Church

Added by yongli on 08/30/2016 - 09:35, last changed on 02/24/2017 - 15:06
Organized by former slaves on November 15, 1865, Zion Baptist Church is the oldest black congregation in Colorado and the Rocky Mountain West. Since 1913, the church has occupied a large Romanesque Revival building at 933 East Ogden Street in Five Points , which was originally built in the early...
Subscribe to Religious/Spiritual