You are here

Businesses

Bain’s Department Store

Added by yongli on 05/17/2017 - 15:34, last changed on 05/17/2017 - 15:40
In 1935 Joe Bain and his son, Victor, opened Bain’s Department Store on Main Street in Alamosa . After Bain’s closed, Victor Bain continued to own the building for decades, renting it out to a variety of automobile dealers and appliance shops. In 1994 the local nonprofit La Puente acquired the...

Barney Ford's People's Restaurant

Added by Nick Johnson on 12/10/2015 - 14:58, last changed on 06/13/2017 - 13:02
In 1863 the black pioneer Barney L. Ford built the People’s Restaurant at 1514 Blake Street in Denver . The success of the restaurant helped make Ford into one of the the state’s most influential black business and civic leaders. Although the building has undergone extensive alterations since Ford’...

Beaumont Hotel

Added by yongli on 06/02/2017 - 11:59, last changed on 06/05/2017 - 11:29
When it opened in 1887, the Beaumont Hotel in Ouray was one of the finest hotels in the Rocky Mountains. After several successful decades, its fortunes declined along with Ouray’s mining economy, and it eventually closed in the 1960s. In 2005 the hotel was reopened after an extensive rehabilitation...

Beaver Creek Resort

Added by yongli on 11/19/2015 - 16:28, last changed on 05/09/2017 - 18:09
Tucked away in Colorado’s Rocky Mountains, Beaver Creek Resort has had a rich history since it first opened to the public in 1980. Located in Eagle County , Beaver Creek is a major ski resort owned and operated by Vail Associates. The valley that houses Beaver Creek Resort lies just south of Avon...

Brown Palace Hotel

Added by yongli on 08/26/2016 - 15:51, last changed on 06/13/2017 - 11:57
Financed by and named after the early Denver developer Henry C. Brown , the Brown Palace Hotel opened on Broadway in 1892 in an elegant triangular building that was the tallest in the city at the time. For much of the twentieth century the hotel was owned by the Boettcher family , which expanded it...

Buckhorn Exchange

Added by yongli on 08/26/2016 - 15:57, last changed on 05/12/2017 - 09:35
Located at 1000 Osage Street, just south of Lincoln Park, the Buckhorn Exchange is Denver’s oldest operating restaurant. Established by Henry H. Zietz in 1893, the restaurant has occupied the same building for more than 120 years and is known for its interior stuffed with Western memorabilia and...

Cave of the Winds

Added by yongli on 06/15/2016 - 15:46, last changed on 02/24/2017 - 14:42
Cave of the Winds, located in Williams Canyon a few miles northwest of Colorado Springs , is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Colorado. Two schoolboys are credited with discovering the cave in 1880, though various legends hold that Ute and Apache tribes knew about it for centuries...

Celebrity Sports Center

Added by yongli on 01/17/2017 - 14:04, last changed on 05/02/2017 - 15:37
Celebrity Lanes, later known as Celebrity Sports Center and then Celebrity Fun Center, was a relatively successful entertainment complex in Denver from the 1960s through the 1980s. The center represented the rise of a national trend in centralized shopping and entertainment complexes during the...

Daniels and Fisher Tower

Added by yongli on 10/10/2016 - 12:02, last changed on 05/02/2017 - 15:39
Rising 330 feet above Sixteenth Street , the Daniels and Fisher Tower in Denver was based on St. Mark’s Campanile in Venice and opened in 1911 as a beacon drawing shoppers to the adjacent Daniels and Fisher department store. The Daniels and Fisher department store closed in 1958 and was demolished...

Dickens Opera House

Added by yongli on 06/28/2017 - 13:36, last changed on 06/28/2017 - 13:41
In 1881–82 rancher and businessman William Henry Dickens built the Dickens Opera House at the corner of Third and Main Streets in downtown Longmont . The two-story opera house, with Dickens’s Farmers National Bank on the first floor and an auditorium on the second, served as an important community...

Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 15:13, last changed on 02/03/2017 - 22:04
Rising about 2,800 feet over its famously scenic forty-five-mile route, the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad was originally built in 1881–82 as part of the Denver & Rio Grande Railway ’s effort to reach the mines of the San Juan Mountains . For decades the line hauled ore from...

Gray Goose Airways

Added by yongli on 08/31/2016 - 13:31, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Denver’s history is full of innovation and success associated with the emergence of air travel, but perhaps just as many ventures failed. Though Gray Goose Airways was ultimately unsuccessful, founder Jonathan Edward Caldwell was doggedly persistent in its development and displayed an unwavering...

Greeley Tribune Building

Added by yongli on 09/15/2015 - 12:54, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 11:40
The Beaux-Arts Greeley Tribune Building opened in 1929 to house the operations of the Greeley Tribune , Weld County’s oldest newspaper. From 1937 until the mid-1950s, the building also contained the offices of the Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District, which administered the Colorado–Big...

Gumry Hotel Explosion

Added by yongli on 08/31/2016 - 13:43, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
On August 19, 1895, a steam boiler exploded in Denver’s Gumry Hotel, killing twenty-two people and injuring dozens. Hotel fires were not uncommon in nineteenth-century Colorado, but the Gumry explosion was the worst hotel disaster in Colorado history and prompted a complete rewrite of boiler...

High Country News

Added by yongli on 03/14/2016 - 15:03, last changed on 01/26/2017 - 16:41
High Country News (HCN) is a nonprofit, independent media organization covering issues that define the American West. Based in the small western Colorado town of Paonia , High Country News publishes a biweekly newsmagazine as well as a variety of digital and print media. HCN is widely regarded as...

Hotel de Paris

Added by yongli on 08/21/2015 - 10:29, last changed on 05/02/2017 - 15:35
Hotel de Paris was an idealized imitation of a Norman inn and is older than the State of Colorado itself. A former cook, journalist, and miner, Frenchman Louis Dupuy (born Adolph François Gerard) established the hotel and restaurant on October 9, 1875, in the Powers Building, formerly occupied by...

Hotel Jerome

Added by yongli on 09/15/2015 - 13:08, last changed on 05/02/2017 - 15:35
Built in 1889 by Jerome B. Wheeler (1841–1918), the Hotel Jerome was Aspen ’s original luxury hotel. After the 1893 silver crash destroyed the town’s economy, the hotel survived as a boardinghouse and slipped into comfortable shabbiness. When Aspen developed into a resort after World War II, the...

Inter-Laken Hotel

Added by yongli on 05/25/2016 - 14:53, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 12:35
Originally established in 1879 as the Lakeside Resort, the Inter-Laken Hotel was developed by James V. Dexter into a high-class, late nineteenth-century resort near Twin Lakes . Popular for about two decades, the hotel declined and eventually closed in the early twentieth century as a series of...

Key Savings and Loan Association Building

Added by yongli on 06/28/2017 - 16:53, last changed on 06/28/2017 - 16:55
The Key Savings and Loan Association Building at the southwest corner of South Broadway and West Hampden Avenue in Englewood was designed by modernist architect Charles Deaton and constructed in 1966–67. A striking concrete ovoid shell with a glass curtain wall, the building is an excellent example...

Kuner-Empson Cannery

Added by yongli on 07/05/2017 - 12:17, last changed on 07/14/2017 - 09:47
The Kuner-Empson Cannery at Third and Martin Streets in Longmont canned vegetables from farms on the northern Front Range from 1892 to 1970. Originally built by industrialist John H. Empson in 1889, the cannery was one of the first major industrial sites in Longmont and was for a time the city’s...

Lost Trail Ranch

Added by yongli on 07/05/2017 - 13:13, last changed on 07/05/2017 - 13:14
Lost Trail Ranch was established in 1877 as a way station and resupply spot along Stony Pass Road from the San Luis Valley to the mining camps of the San Juan Mountains . Located at an elevation of 9,800 feet along the Rio Grande , the way station served travelers until the early 1880s, when...

Manitou Springs Spa Building

Added by yongli on 05/04/2017 - 16:12, last changed on 05/16/2017 - 08:08
The Manitou Springs Spa Building stands on top of Soda (or Manitou) Spring on the north bank of Fountain Creek in downtown Manitou Springs . The three-story Spanish Colonial Revival building was built in 1920 to help revive Manitou’s sagging health tourism industry by offering modern mineral water...

Minnequa Steel Works Office

Added by yongli on 08/25/2016 - 10:49, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 06:19
Built by the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company (CF&I) in 1901–2, the Minnequa Steel Works office building and medical dispensary in Pueblo are among the best examples of Mission-style architecture in Colorado. The dispensary helped provide healthcare to CF&I’s thousands of workers, and the...

Minnequa Steelworks Office

Added by Nick Johnson on 04/20/2016 - 10:48, last changed on 05/02/2017 - 15:39
Built by the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company (CF&I) in 1901–2, the Minnequa Steelworks office building and medical dispensary in Pueblo are among the best examples of Mission-style architecture in Colorado. The dispensary helped provide healthcare to CF&I’s thousands of workers, and the...

Shenandoah-Dives Mining Company

Added by yongli on 09/21/2016 - 15:34, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
The Shenandoah-Dives Mining Company was active in the San Juan Mountains from the 1930s through the 1960s. As one of the largest mining operations in the region during the twentieth century, the company’s history exemplifies the boom and bust cycles and labor strife that were common in Colorado’s...

St. Luke’s Hospital

Added by yongli on 10/06/2016 - 16:52, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:29
St. Luke’s Hospital was a Denver fixture for over a century, serving the community as one of several hospitals in the capitol. St. Luke’s role in training several generations of doctors and nurses garners historical significance for the building complex. Today, only one of the hospital’s buildings...

Stanley Hotel

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 15:07, last changed on 05/31/2017 - 10:50
Designed and funded by Freelan Oscar Stanley , the Stanley Hotel opened in 1909 in Estes Park. The first-class resort helped make Estes Park into a tourist destination, especially after the establishment of Rocky Mountain National Park in 1915. In the late twentieth century, the hotel gained...

Stapleton International Airport

Added by yongli on 08/03/2016 - 13:07, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 07:05
Stapleton International Airport opened as a small municipal airport in 1929–30 and went on to become Denver’s primary airport for sixty-five years, until it was replaced by Denver International Airport in 1995. The airport played a major role in Denver ’s development as a national transportation...

The Broadmoor

Added by yongli on 08/26/2016 - 15:42, last changed on 05/16/2017 - 08:07
Perennially ranked one of the top resorts in the United States, the Broadmoor opened just southwest of Colorado Springs in 1918. Built on the site of a failed casino complex and upscale suburban development at the foot of Cheyenne Mountain , the Broadmoor has grown over the decades into a sprawling...

The Fort

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 15:56, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 20:53
The Fort, an adobe restaurant just south of Morrison, was modeled on historic Bent’s Old Fort and built using traditional Hispano methods and materials. Designed by William Lumpkins, an architect internationally known for his work in the adobe and Pueblo Revival styles, the Fort served as a...

Tremont House Hotel

Added by yongli on 05/05/2017 - 12:04, last changed on 05/16/2017 - 08:08
The Tremont House Hotel was established in the fall of 1859 near Cherry Creek in Auraria (later West Denver) and soon became one of Denver ’s top hotels. In the 1880s, the hotel declined as flood-prone West Denver became home to immigrants and industry while wealthy residents moved to new...

Van Briggle Memorial Pottery Building

Added by yongli on 11/22/2016 - 13:31, last changed on 05/16/2017 - 08:07
Built in 1907–8, the Van Briggle Memorial Pottery Building in Colorado Springs was designed by architect Nicolaas van den Arend to serve as the company’s salesroom, pottery plant, and headquarters. Incorporating more than 5,000 tile and terra cotta components designed by Anne Van Briggle , the...

Western Hotel

Added by yongli on 07/05/2017 - 13:54, last changed on 07/05/2017 - 13:58
The Western Hotel at 716 Cooper Avenue in Glenwood Springs started in 1887 as a one-story brick restaurant building. In the early twentieth century, the building was expanded under the ownership of the Bosco family, which began renting rooms there by the early 1920s. Later owned and operated for...

Wonderbound

Greg Vogl's picture
Added by Greg Vogl on 07/15/2015 - 14:39, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 21:16
Based in Denver, Wonderbound was established in 2002 and has quickly grown into the second-largest professional dance company in Colorado. Originally called Ballet Nouveau Colorado and affiliated with a Broomfield-based dance school of the same name, in 2012–13 the company split with the dance...

World’s Wonder View Tower

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 16:22, last changed on 05/31/2017 - 12:34
Built in 1926, the six-story World’s Wonder View Tower in Genoa served for many decades as a tourist attraction and way station along US Highway 24. Visitation declined after Interstate 70 rerouted traffic farther away from the tower in the 1970s, but owner Jerry Chubbuck continued to operate the...
Subscribe to Businesses