First built in 1872, Stony Pass Road connected Del Norte to Silverton. It started as a pack trail and was gradually improved into a wagon road. It was the main route from the Front Range to the San Juan Mountains until 1882, when the Denver & Rio Grande Railway reached Silverton.
Share article to Submitted by yongli on Wed, 07/05/2017 - 13:14
San Juan County
On Flickr w/ Creative Commons license