The town of La Veta eventually acquired the property and in 1958 opened it to the public as a museum. Other historic buildings from the area were moved to the site in the 1960s, concentrating several historic resources in one place but altering the plaza’s surroundings. In the 1980s the plaza’s adobe buildings were covered with a stucco-like coating of adobe mud in order to preserve them.
Share article to
May 25, 2017