Established in 1835 by Louis Vasquez and Andrew Sublette, Fort Vasquez operated for seven years as a fur-trading post along the South Platte River. The decaying fort was reconstructed in the 1930s. The Colorado Historical Society (now History Colorado) acquired the building in 1958 and opened it as a regional museum in 1964.
Share article to
Image by Charles M. Sauer, Wikimedia Commons