Bent's Old Fort was built near present-day La Junta in 1833 by the trading partners Ceran St. Vrain and William and Charles Bent. The fort was the center of trade between whites, Native Americans, and Hispanics along the Santa Fé Trail until about 1850, when a combination of disease epidemics, a declining bison population, and escalating aggression between white Americans and Native Americans brought the Colorado fur trade to an end. This reconstruction of Bent's Old Fort was completed in 1976.
Share to Submitted by yongli on Mon, 04/06/2015 - 15:51
Courtesy of Colorado Preservation, Inc.