In 1849 a decline in the bison hide trade forced William Bent to close his original trading post and open a new one farther down the Arkansas River. This sketch by archaeologist Michelle A. Slaughter outlines the layout of the new fort (click for larger image).
Submitted by Nick Johnson on Fri, 05/06/2016 - 11:17 Share to
July 15, 2013