You are here

New Deal

Akron Gymnasium

Added by yongli on 11/03/2015 - 11:00, last changed on 11/03/2017 - 12:03
The Akron Gymnasium was a New Deal project built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938–40. Designed by the prominent Denver architect Eugene Groves , with a distinctive domed roof and skylights, it served as Akron’s main gymnasium and community center until 1964. Though the structure...

American Legion Hall (Eads)

Added by yongli on 11/03/2015 - 13:46, last changed on 08/29/2017 - 08:06
The American Legion Hall at the Kiowa County Fairgrounds near Eads was a New Deal project built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1937–38. The hall is one of the best-preserved WPA buildings in Eads and remains an important site for community gatherings and entertainment. The Dust Bowl...

Burlington Gymnasium

Added by yongli on 02/02/2017 - 15:25, last changed on 08/25/2017 - 08:27
The Burlington Gymnasium was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938–41 and served as a gym, auditorium, and community center until 1999. Located on Senter Avenue between Ninth and Eleventh Streets, the two-story Art Deco facility was originally next to the Burlington High School...

Englewood Post Office

Added by yongli on 11/10/2015 - 12:45, last changed on 09/03/2017 - 01:07
The 1938 Englewood post office building on South Broadway is notable for its large lobby mural by Boardman Robinson (1876–1952), an important art educator, political cartoonist, and founder of the American mural movement. The work is Robinson’s only post office mural and one of three major Robinson...

Florence Post Office

Added by yongli on 01/31/2017 - 15:16, last changed on 08/25/2017 - 20:33
The Florence Post Office was built in 1936–37 as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The building has a simple Neoclassical design with some Art Deco details and a mural by Olive Rush in the lobby. In 1986 the post office was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and it is...

Hartman Gymnasium

Added by yongli on 01/31/2017 - 15:37, last changed on 10/18/2017 - 13:09
The Hartman Gymnasium was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in about 1938–39 and quickly became an important center for athletic events and community gatherings. The school to which the gymnasium was originally attached was demolished in the early 1980s, leaving the two-story...

Holly City Hall

Added by yongli on 01/31/2017 - 15:47, last changed on 10/24/2017 - 08:38
Located at the corner of East Cheyenne and South Third Streets, the Holly City Hall was built in 1938 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project designed to consolidate the town of Holly ’s administrative offices and departments. It never accomplished that goal, but the town fire and police...

Holly Gymnasium

Added by yongli on 01/31/2017 - 16:03, last changed on 08/26/2017 - 15:02
The Holly Gymnasium was built in 1936–38 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. The two-story Modernist building is made of local Niobrara limestone and was the only gymnasium in Holly until a new school complex was constructed in 1965. Since then the gym has continued to be used for...

Hugo Municipal Pool

Added by yongli on 02/01/2017 - 11:03, last changed on 08/26/2017 - 15:28
Located at the corner of Fourth Street and Sixth Avenue in Hugo, the Hugo Municipal Pool was built in 1936–38 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project designed to provide employment and improve quality of life during the Great Depression . The pool’s bathhouse is notable for combining a...

Julesburg Public Library

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 09:55, last changed on 08/26/2017 - 15:43
Located at the corner of East Fourth and Cedar Streets, the Julesburg Public Library was built in 1937, after the Julesburg Woman’s Club led a long-term effort to get a permanent library building for the community. Designed by Stanley Morse in the Art Moderne style, the library includes several...

Kit Carson County

Added by yongli on 11/14/2016 - 16:10, last changed on 10/17/2017 - 10:31
Kit Carson County, named for fur trapper and Army scout Kit Carson , covers 2,162 miles of the Great Plains in eastern Colorado. One of the state’s most productive agricultural counties, Kit Carson is bordered to the north by Yuma and Washington Counties, to the east by the state of Kansas, to the...

La Junta City Park

Added by yongli on 11/10/2015 - 11:04, last changed on 08/26/2017 - 15:43
La Junta City Park is a prime example of a New Deal project on Colorado’s eastern plains. As a result of work carried out between 1933 and 1941, a poorly drained park became the city’s primary outdoor recreation space, complete with stone walls, benches, and buildings; a new lake; picnic shelters;...

Lamar Post Office

Added by yongli on 02/01/2017 - 11:17, last changed on 08/26/2017 - 15:55
The Lamar Post Office was built in 1936 as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. Designed by Pueblo architect Walter DeMordaunt , the building is the only Spanish Colonial Revival post office built as part of the New Deal in Colorado. It is still in use and was listed on the National...

Lincoln County

Added by yongli on 09/29/2016 - 15:29, last changed on 10/31/2017 - 13:21
Lincoln County, named after President Abraham Lincoln, covers 2,586 square miles of Colorado’s Great Plains southeast of Denver. It is bordered to the north by Washington County , to the east by Kit Carson and Cheyenne Counties, to the southeast by Kiowa County , to the south by Crowley County ,...

Morgan County Courthouse and Jail

Added by yongli on 03/16/2016 - 13:57, last changed on 08/26/2017 - 20:55
Morgan County’s 1921 jail and 1936 courthouse in Fort Morgan replaced the county’s original facilities after the county had outgrown them. The courthouse was funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) and designed by the modernist Colorado architect Eugene Groves . In 1988 both facilities were...

New Deal in Colorado

Added by yongli on 08/03/2016 - 13:44, last changed on 10/29/2017 - 01:07
As the United States entered the third year of a great economic depression triggered by the 1929 stock market crash, many Americans put their hope in President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and his pledge to give them a “new deal.” During his first term (1933–37), he pushed Congress to pass legislation...

Notch Mountain Shelter

Added by yongli on 05/19/2017 - 16:23, last changed on 08/29/2017 - 08:04
The Notch Mountain Shelter was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933 as a shelter for pilgrims coming to see nearby Mount of the Holy Cross . Located on the south shoulder of Notch Mountain at an elevation of about 13,100 feet, the rustic stone shelter is near the spot where in...

Prowers County Welfare Housing

Added by yongli on 05/19/2017 - 16:26, last changed on 08/31/2017 - 06:26
The five-building Prowers County Welfare Housing complex on the north side of Lamar was built in 1938–41 as a series of Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects. The one-story sandstone buildings were the only New Deal public housing complex constructed in eastern Colorado. In 2009 the complex...

Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre

Added by yongli on 01/23/2017 - 11:13, last changed on 10/27/2017 - 09:58
Located just west of Denver near the town of Morrison , Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre combines awe-inspiring natural scenery with natural acoustic splendor. The 868-acre park stands 6,450 feet above sea level between the Great Plains and the Rocky Mountains. The park’s amphitheater opened to the...

Tigiwon Community House

Added by yongli on 05/19/2017 - 16:29, last changed on 10/26/2017 - 09:34
The Tigiwon Community House was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933–34 as a meeting spot for pilgrims coming to see Mount of the Holy Cross . Located along Tigiwon Road south of Minturn at an elevation of about 10,000 feet, the rustic log building continues to serve as a meeting...

Wiley Rock Schoolhouse

Added by yongli on 08/25/2017 - 13:38, last changed on 08/31/2017 - 08:08
The Wiley Rock Schoolhouse, built by the Works Progress Administration in 1938, is located on Main Street in the Prowers County town of Wiley (603 Main Street in Wiley, Colorado). Originally built as an annex for the adjacent Wiley High School, Wiley Rock Schoolhouse is made of reused concrete...

Willow Creek Park

Added by yongli on 08/25/2017 - 13:58, last changed on 08/31/2017 - 08:08
Willow Creek Park in southeast Lamar was built primarily by the Civil Works Administration and the Works Progress Administration from 1933 to 1938. Using local labor and materials, the New Deal agencies built a series of dams for flood mitigation and constructed several rustic stone structures for...
Subscribe to New Deal