You are here

Italian immigrants

Marble Jailhouse

Added by yongli on 07/05/2017 - 11:06, last changed on 10/14/2019 - 12:19
The Marble Jailhouse was built on East State Street in 1901, as local officials tried to impose order on the growing town and its increasingly diverse working class. The one-room jailhouse, which contains two steel-framed jail cells, was most active after Marble passed a local prohibition law in...

Romano Residence

Added by yongli on 05/19/2017 - 13:12, last changed on 08/31/2017 - 06:35
The Romano Residence is a one-story Craftsman-style bungalow on South Golden Road in the Pleasant View neighborhood southeast of Golden (16300 S Golden Rd, Golden, CO 80401). Built in 1927, the cobblestone house has been in the Romano family since 1929 and remains largely in its original condition...

Stranges Grocery

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 11:54, last changed on 10/03/2019 - 12:17

Stranges Grocery Today

Share article to
Located at 226 Pitkin Avenue in Grand Junction , Stranges Grocery is a two-story commercial building that housed one of four Italian groceries in the early twentieth century. Built in 1909 by local stonemason Nunzio Grasso, the grocery was owned and operated by Italian immigrant Carl Stranges and...

Western Hotel

Added by yongli on 07/05/2017 - 13:54, last changed on 12/06/2017 - 01:07
The Western Hotel at 716 Cooper Avenue in Glenwood Springs started in 1887 as a one-story brick restaurant building. In the early twentieth century, the building was expanded under the ownership of the Bosco family, which began renting rooms there by the early 1920s. Later owned and operated for...

“Little Rome”

Added by yongli on 06/02/2017 - 14:13, last changed on 06/18/2019 - 01:07
“Little Rome” was a residential area in Henson, a San Juan mining camp a few miles west of Lake City that peaked in the 1890s. Henson is notable for being the site of an 1899 strike carried out at the Ute Ulay and Hidden Treasure mines by Italians affiliated with the Western Federation of Miners ...
Subscribe to Italian immigrants