You are here

Civilian Conservation Corps

Civilian Conservation Corps in Colorado

Added by yongli on 08/02/2016 - 16:40, last changed on 08/25/2017 - 08:38
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a New Deal program aimed at reducing unemployment among young men by giving them steady work improving the nation’s landscape, public lands, and infrastructure. When it was implemented in 1933, the CCC was the largest-ever public works program. Today, the...

New Deal in Colorado

Added by yongli on 08/03/2016 - 13:44, last changed on 08/29/2017 - 08:06
As the United States entered the third year of a great economic depression triggered by the 1929 stock market crash, many Americans put their hope in President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and his pledge to give them a “new deal.” During his first term (1933–37), he pushed Congress to pass legislation...

Notch Mountain Shelter

Added by yongli on 05/19/2017 - 16:23, last changed on 08/29/2017 - 08:04
The Notch Mountain Shelter was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933 as a shelter for pilgrims coming to see nearby Mount of the Holy Cross . Located on the south shoulder of Notch Mountain at an elevation of about 13,100 feet, the rustic stone shelter is near the spot where in...

Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre

Added by yongli on 01/23/2017 - 11:13, last changed on 08/31/2017 - 06:26
Located just west of Denver near the town of Morrison , Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre combines awe-inspiring natural scenery with natural acoustic splendor. The 868-acre park stands 6,450 feet above sea level between the Great Plains and the Rocky Mountains. The park’s amphitheater opened to the...

Rim Rock Drive

Added by yongli on 12/02/2015 - 10:59, last changed on 08/31/2017 - 06:26

Rim Rock Drive

Share to
Built primarily by New Deal work programs in the 1930s, Rim Rock Drive is a twenty-three-mile scenic road through Colorado National Monument . Connecting Fruita and Grand Junction, the road increased tourism to the monument by allowing travelers to drive through and continue on their journey. The...

Tigiwon Community House

Added by yongli on 05/19/2017 - 16:29, last changed on 08/31/2017 - 07:32
The Tigiwon Community House was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933–34 as a meeting spot for pilgrims coming to see Mount of the Holy Cross . Located along Tigiwon Road south of Minturn at an elevation of about 10,000 feet, the rustic log building continues to serve as a meeting...
Subscribe to Civilian Conservation Corps