In 1874 prospectors found silver ore on the west side of Battle Mountain near present-day Minturn. They set up a camp that became the town of Red Cliff in 1879. This early photo of Red Cliff shows some of the West's famous false-front buildings along the main street, as well as several buildings under construction, including a two-story structure at bottom left.
Share article to
Image courtesy of Denver Public Library, Western History/Genealogy Department.