You are here

Huerfano County

Francisco Plaza

Added by yongli on 11/06/2015 - 13:51, last changed on 12/28/2017 - 13:41

Francisco Plaza

Share article to
The Fort Garland merchant John M. Francisco and his trading partner, Henry Daigre, built Francisco Plaza near the Cucharas River, at the site of present-day La Veta , in 1862. The first dwelling in the Cucharas Valley , the plaza served as a defensive fort as well as a trading post, farm, and ranch...

Huerfano County

Added by yongli on 01/31/2017 - 12:36, last changed on 02/05/2019 - 01:07
Huerfano County, named for the Spanish word for “orphan,” covers 1,750 square miles in south central Colorado, east of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and south of the Wet Mountain Valley . The southern part of Huerfano County is part of the Raton Basin, a geological formation that has produced...

Montoya Ranch

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 10:18, last changed on 01/09/2018 - 01:07
Located near the Huerfano River about twenty miles northwest of Walsenburg , Montoya Ranch is a large adobe building originally built around 1869 by Hispano settlers in the area. It was later occupied by the Montoya family, who operated a sheep ranch, and then by the Lebanese Faris family, who used...
Subscribe to Huerfano County