You are here

San Luis Valley

Alamosa County

Added by yongli on 06/24/2016 - 16:36, last changed on 03/04/2017 - 09:26

Alamosa County

Share to
Alamosa County, named for the Spanish word for “cottonwood grove,” is located in the high San Luis Valley of south central Colorado. At 7,544 feet, the valley is bordered by the Sangre de Cristo Mountains on the east and the San Juan Mountains to the west. Alamosa County encompasses 723 square...

Barlow and Sanderson Stagecoach

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 10:24, last changed on 09/08/2016 - 17:25
The Barlow and Sanderson stagecoach in Monte Vista is a mud wagon like those that operated in the 1870s and 1880s along Barlow and Sanderson lines in the San Luis Valley . The only regional example of its type, the stagecoach was acquired by the Monte Vista Commercial Club and donated in 1959 to...

Capilla de San Isidro

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 17:16, last changed on 11/18/2016 - 17:16
Built in about 1894, Capilla de San Isidro is a Catholic church in Los Fuertes in the San Luis Valley . The church is dedicated to St. Isidore, the patron saint of farming, and continues to play an important role in the local community, with Mass celebrated in Spanish during the summer. In 2013 the...

Capilla de San Juan Bautista (Church of Saint John the Baptist)

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 17:21, last changed on 03/08/2017 - 12:46
Located in La Garita in the northwestern San Luis Valley , Capilla de San Juan Bautista was built in 1924–26 as a Catholic mission church. It replaced an earlier church on the same site, which served as the area’s parish church from 1879 to 1895 but burned down in 1924. After the church was...

Capilla de Viejo San Acacio

Added by yongli on 11/06/2015 - 12:58, last changed on 09/08/2016 - 18:41
Founded in the 1850s or 1860s by Hispano settlers near the Culebra River, the Catholic Capilla de Viejo San Acacio in the San Luis Valley is the oldest non–Native American religious space in Colorado. Over the years the church has had many repairs and renovations to stabilize the structure, as well...

Conejos County

Added by yongli on 11/04/2016 - 15:55, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Conejos County covers 1,287 square miles of the southern San Luis Valley and eastern San Juan Mountains in south central Colorado. It is bordered by Archuleta County to the west, Rio Grande and Alamosa Counties to the north, Costilla County to the east, and New Mexico’s Taos and Rio Arriba Counties...

Costilla County

Added by yongli on 06/27/2016 - 14:45, last changed on 03/08/2017 - 10:30
Costilla County lies in south-central Colorado within the San Luis Valley . It covers nearly 1,227 square miles and ranges in elevation from 8,400 to 10,300 feet. Costilla County borders Conejos County to the west, Alamosa County to the northwest, Huerfano County to the northeast, Las Animas County...

Fort Garland

Added by yongli on 11/05/2015 - 15:53, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 10:58
The US Army operated Fort Garland in the San Luis Valley for twenty-five years, from 1858 to 1883. The fort was built to protect early settlers from Native American raids in the years before treaties, reservations, and removal made that mission obsolete. After decades of neglect, the fort was...

Iglesia de San Francisco de Assisi

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 17:24, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Located in San Francisco in the southeastern San Luis Valley , Iglesia de San Francisco de Assisi is a Catholic church featuring Gothic and Mission Revival elements. Constructed in the 1950s using concrete blocks and casement windows, the building shows how the local parish adapted modern building...

Lafayette Head

Added by yongli on 08/21/2015 - 16:08, last changed on 09/09/2016 - 12:35
Major Lafayette Head (1825–97) was an Indian agent to the Ute tribe for nine years after serving in the Mexican American War. In 1877, he became the first lieutenant governor of Colorado. He was influential in the early development of towns across the San Luis Valley. Born in Hunter County,...

Pike’s Stockade

Added by yongli on 03/07/2016 - 16:17, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 06:43
The Pike Stockade is a reconstruction of a small fortress built by the soldiers of the 1806–7 Zebulon Pike expedition. It is located on the Rio Conejos , a tributary of the Rio Grande , in the San Luis Valley , seventeen miles southeast of Alamosa . Administered by History Colorado , the stockade...

Rio Grande County

Added by yongli on 01/23/2017 - 13:24, last changed on 01/23/2017 - 15:46
Rio Grande County is located in the western San Luis Valley in south-central Colorado. It covers 912 square miles and ranges in elevation from 7,000 feet on the valley floor to over 13,000 feet atop several mountain peaks. Del Norte functions as the county seat, and Monte Vista , operating as a...

Saguache

Added by yongli on 12/02/2015 - 14:09, last changed on 09/10/2016 - 06:43
The town of Saguache in the northern San Luis Valley began as an agricultural community after Ute Indians were removed from the area in the 1860s. Saguache boomed in the 1870s and 1880s, when it became an important starting-off point for miners headed to the San Juan Mountains, and again in the...

Saguache County

Added by yongli on 01/23/2017 - 14:08, last changed on 01/23/2017 - 14:22
Known as the northern gateway to the San Luis Valley , Saguache County covers 3,168 miles between the Sangre de Cristo and San Juan Mountain ranges in southern Colorado. The word Saguache , pronounced “Sa-watch,” is derived from the Ute language and means “blue-green Earth”—a reference to the...

San Luis Valley Ecosystem Council

Added by yongli on 02/03/2017 - 11:30, last changed on 02/03/2017 - 11:30
The San Luis Valley Ecosystem Council (SLVEC) helps to safeguard over 3.1 million acres of public lands and natural resources in the six counties comprising the San Luis Valley , noted for their unchanged landscapes, biological richness, early settlement traditions, and rural lifestyles. This...

San Rafael Presbyterian Church

Added by yongli on 11/21/2016 - 16:27, last changed on 12/01/2016 - 08:28
Located in Mogote in the southern San Luis Valley , San Rafael Presbyterian Church was probably built in 1895–97 and used regularly until 1965. It is the second-oldest church in Conejos County and one of the few historically Spanish-speaking Presbyterian churches in Colorado. In 1999 it was listed...

St. Francis of Assisi Mission Church

Added by yongli on 11/22/2016 - 12:37, last changed on 11/22/2016 - 12:37
Built in 1881, St. Francis of Assisi Mission Church is a Catholic church in Los Valdeses, a town along the Rio Grande about halfway between Del Norte and Monte Vista . One of the few Hispano churches in the San Luis Valley with a cruciform plan, St. Francis of Assisi held regular Masses until the...

State Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home

Added by yongli on 02/01/2017 - 14:51, last changed on 02/01/2017 - 14:59
Located east of Monte Vista in the San Luis Valley , the State Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home was established in 1889 as a home for aging and disabled Civil War veterans in Colorado. The facility grew over the years to include cottages, apartments, social buildings, and a modern nursing home, and it...

Trujillo Homesteads

Added by yongli on 11/22/2016 - 12:54, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Located in rural Alamosa County along the western boundary of Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve , the Trujillo Homesteads were settled in the 1860s and 1870s by Teofilo Trujillo and his son, Pedro. The history of the homesteads illustrates the conflicts between Hispano and Anglo cultural...
Subscribe to San Luis Valley