You are here

Hispano settlers

Capilla de San Juan Bautista (Church of Saint John the Baptist)

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 17:21, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:26
Located in La Garita in the northwestern San Luis Valley , Capilla de San Juan Bautista was built in 1924–26 as a Catholic mission church. It replaced an earlier church on the same site, which served as the area’s parish church from 1879 to 1895 but burned down in 1924. After the church was...

Iglesia de San Francisco de Assisi

Added by yongli on 11/18/2016 - 17:24, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:30
Located in San Francisco in the southeastern San Luis Valley , Iglesia de San Francisco de Assisi is a Catholic church featuring Gothic and Mission Revival elements. Constructed in the 1950s using concrete blocks and casement windows, the building shows how the local parish adapted modern building...

La Casa Ruibalid

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 09:58, last changed on 12/02/2016 - 17:03
Built sometime in the 1880s or 1890s, La Casa Ruibalid is a Territorial adobe house on the Rio Blanco about ten miles south of Pagosa Springs . Believed to be the second house built in the Rio Blanco area, it was occupied throughout the first half of the twentieth century by Casimiro Ruibalid and...

Montoya Ranch

Added by yongli on 10/31/2016 - 10:18, last changed on 10/31/2016 - 10:22
Located near the Huerfano River about twenty miles northwest of Walsenburg , Montoya Ranch is a large adobe building originally built around 1869 by Hispano settlers in the area. It was later occupied by the Montoya family, who operated a sheep ranch, and then by the Lebanese Faris family, who used...

St. Francis of Assisi Mission Church

Added by yongli on 11/22/2016 - 12:37, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:31
Built in 1881, St. Francis of Assisi Mission Church is a Catholic church in Los Valdeses, a town along the Rio Grande about halfway between Del Norte and Monte Vista . One of the few Hispano churches in the San Luis Valley with a cruciform plan, St. Francis of Assisi held regular Masses until the...

Trujillo Homesteads

Added by yongli on 11/22/2016 - 12:54, last changed on 04/15/2017 - 16:32
Located in rural Alamosa County along the western boundary of Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve , the Trujillo Homesteads were settled in the 1860s and 1870s by Teofilo Trujillo and his son, Pedro. The history of the homesteads illustrates the conflicts between Hispano and Anglo cultural...
Subscribe to Hispano settlers